Afternoon at Thaler's

PHOTO INFO
This shot was taken on a sunny, warm, spring afternoon at the Thaler Dairy Farm.
-- Kathleen

Comments

I like how the Calf portraits are off center somehow making them seem more candid and less posed.

Posted by Shane on April 20, 2005 3:13 AM

I discoverde your site some weeks a go. You have a great portfolio. I love the warm colors of the two pictures in the bottom. Very Good. :)

Posted by Adriana on April 20, 2005 4:06 AM

Love Calf II, what a face.

Posted by Noreen on April 20, 2005 7:13 AM

It's almost like I can smell the manure.... wait a minute, I can! (The farm up the street did the same thing yesterday.)

Those calf portraits are really touching. Perhaps you've opened up a new niche market for yourself, k.

Posted by Houser on April 20, 2005 7:13 AM

I love how Calf 1 looks like it was hit by some of that flying manure :)
Houser's right you've got a real sensibility for shooting animals.

Posted by BigA on April 20, 2005 7:44 AM

I love watching Jakey work! Calf II is a great example of the power of negative space. The manure spreading photo really makes me laugh - when people move out here from the city to the large new homes that line the farmers fields, they have some kind of romanticized vision of the country. It's downright hard work, and the smell of manure spreading is always a surprise to them!

Posted by Suzanne on April 20, 2005 8:32 AM

These make me nostalgic for the many years I helped my Grandfather spread the manure in the Spring. The calf shots remind me of how the new calves are always so curious and playful. Unfortunately he passed away before I got into photography :-(

Posted by Michael Czeiszperger on April 20, 2005 9:37 AM

Kat, love these photos. Not only is your blog good, but outstandingly consistent at being so! I'm a regular Durham Township junkie and you're the only one to blame. Keep it up, and I'll keep coming back again and again!

Posted by Oscar Zamora on April 20, 2005 2:08 PM

what a great sampling of life in the country. reminds me of MY childhood, too. (No, I didn't grow up in the city!)

Posted by joh on April 20, 2005 2:09 PM

Oh...lovely calves. I love their innocent eyes very much.

Posted by mountainbread on April 20, 2005 5:13 PM

Lovely shots, Jakey running has all these beautiful tones. Gorgeous.

Shane, How do you get a cow to pose? :P

Posted by miles on April 20, 2005 6:40 PM

All the photos left me speechless! Makes me wanna move to Durham! Keep clicking :)

Posted by Balaji Shankar on April 20, 2005 8:55 PM

I love the pictures of the calves. They're so cute! :)

Posted by Jennifer on April 20, 2005 11:02 PM

The seoncd shot is great, wonderful colours and composition.

Posted by Harpreet on April 21, 2005 1:37 AM