The Kerry Supporters
Comments:

I love this photo. Either it's the memory of the song about Allentown or the way the models are all looking off to the right as if watching Kerry and wondering what will happen if he wins?

Posted by Monic+al at February 12, 2005 4:31 PM

Wow! What a lovely shot. The light, colours and expressions are great. But what a shame that Kerry did not win. Look at these friendly guys, America, you have disappointet them! ;-)

Posted by Christian at February 15, 2005 4:09 PM

This shot is truly amazing. Were the subjects posing for this?

Posted by rich at June 12, 2005 3:28 PM

Did the subjects pose for this or was it candid? Is this image for sale as an "original"?

Posted by rich at September 25, 2005 4:01 AM

These are not models and none of them were posed - quite the contrary. It was total mayhem when I took this shot - Kerry was leaving the rally and the Secret Service was everywhere. I was practically squashed by the crowd on the ground - holding my camera up into the air shooting whatever I could, although with this shot I got about 10 full seconds to look through the viewfinder and line things up a bit.

The folks in the photo were up on a stage and they were lit by very large, bright stage lights. I was standing on the ground below them while they looked down at Kerry as he signed autographs and made his way to his waiting limo.

I believe they're a varied bunch of local business people, workers, etc., who were identified by the campaign as supporters, and as such were invited as VIP guests to sit behind Kerry on the stage as he gave his rally speech.

Posted by Kathleen at September 25, 2005 5:46 AM

Amazing! I especially appreciate photography that is realistic but at the same time isn't and clearly you have an eye for it. I wrestle with whether photography really is an art or just a craft - your work is compelling evidence that it is art.

Posted by Triloron at December 31, 2005 11:08 PM

I love this photo. It reminds me of a Norman Rockwell painting yet a real moment in time. There is a very tangible sense of anticipation.

Posted by Jim at May 31, 2006 7:26 PM

I also thought "Norman Rockwell" the instant I saw this. Really an outstanding photo!

Posted by Bill at June 23, 2006 7:02 AM

The photo "The Kerry Supporters at a Rally in Allentown actually captured famed Allentown, PA Attorney, John P. Karoly, Jr., he is the one with the striped suit. Wonder photos!

Posted by Tim W at July 30, 2006 8:31 AM