Supergirl with Ox-Eye Daisies (Chrysanthemum leucanthemum)

This photograph was taken tonight just before 6:00 p.m. The days are getting wonderfully long, indeed. It's the time of year I relish because I can do all of my chores, make and eat dinner, wash the dishes and still have time to go out and shoot! :)

Post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens with circular polarizer at 24mm, ISO 100, shutter speed 1/250s and aperture f/3.2. Multiple curves adjustments for contrast and saturation, overall color balancing.

Thanks for visiting Durham Township!

Comments

beautiful colors K. love the green tone on the grass. take care and have a nice weekend

Posted by bruno on May 13, 2006 2:21 AM

Gorgeous, just gorgeous.

Posted by Laurie on May 13, 2006 6:31 AM

Kathleen,

I love your photos. I've been lingering for a few months now, and I am constantly amazed.

What I would love to see are screenshots of some of your workflow items (like what does it mean to do "multiple curves adjustments", etc.). I am sure it would help novice photographers like myself get a start.

Thanks for your amazing work!

tm

Posted by tpm on May 13, 2006 10:20 AM

Supergirl looks rather contemplative...
I like the shadows on her face, and the perspective on the horizon.

We're in for a grand total of 9 days of rain in these parts... pushing me to my creative limits. Enjoy the beautiful weather!

Posted by Solaria on May 13, 2006 12:56 PM

awesome colors! great pose and composition! perfect as always! thanks

Posted by leova (↑) on May 13, 2006 1:00 PM

gorgeous kathleen!

Posted by rui on May 13, 2006 5:10 PM

Another wonderful image.

Posted by Paxton Prints on May 13, 2006 5:39 PM

i love your photos so much. that's the lifestyle i dream of.

Posted by rambohoho on May 13, 2006 6:49 PM

Hi Kathleen,

Your fantastic photos just continue to bring me back day after day after day for almost 3 years now. You just keep getting better.

Best wishes, Tom

Posted by Tom B on May 13, 2006 11:45 PM

very beautiful,nice highlights,excellent composition.

Posted by ct on May 14, 2006 12:03 AM

Natures meaning for the education of the child. Didn´t Rousseau write something about that? Well, I like how you bring "something" comtemporary and living - the supergirl - into something more "eternal", nature. These two elements cast of meaning to eachother, somewhat like a Haiku poem, describing how the eternal clash with the timely. I am impressed!

Posted by Peter on May 14, 2006 4:19 AM

This is a really nice shot! The child with the superman T-shirt adds a lot to the shot!

Posted by Renato on May 14, 2006 3:30 PM

Lovely late spring colors! A wonderful time of year, indeed!

Posted by micki on May 14, 2006 5:31 PM

She looks a little bored, like she can't wait for the day when she can fly out to more exciting adventures. The Super Girl t-Shirt brings it out.

Posted by Robert on May 14, 2006 7:21 PM

Now you got to tell us if you used "cloud control" techniques to achieve the delightful pattern similarities between the white blossoms and the scattered small cloud puffs. Or have I begun to hallucinate?

In either case, thank you......and Supergirl.

Posted by david Tinnon on May 15, 2006 1:29 AM

Great portrait, adding the girl in there adds nicely.

Posted by tuan on May 15, 2006 7:58 AM

Good shot and colors. But why the darkened corners? rather distracting and overdone in some shots.

Posted by Reza on May 15, 2006 10:40 AM

Such saturated colors. How peaceful and lovely

Posted by cathy on May 15, 2006 10:50 AM

watch out for kryptonite !!

Posted by Crash on May 15, 2006 12:46 PM

I always admire the amazing sky you get to capture. You must feel very lucky to be surrounded by such amazing landscapes. Really nice image.

Posted by chiara on May 15, 2006 4:57 PM

Thanks, everyone. Responding to questions:

tpm: Someday... someday... maybe when my son is in school full time. :) I wish I had the time to do that but I just don't right now. I'm very certain there are excellent tutorials on curves adjustments out there, though, much more thoroughly written than what I have time to offer right now.

Curves is/are (?) your most important tool in Photoshop; they make most other tools redundant. Read up on them and play with them relentlessly - that's what I've done for the last three years. You'll be amazed at what happens with your images!

Solaria: I have to believe that with a name like that, you can walk outside, do a little dance, and all will be well again. :)

Tom B: You're a sweetie. I haven't forgot about you... :)

Peter: Glad you noticed the comtemporary symbol there - it's my attempt to draw the viewer into the present while looking at an image that could otherwise have been seen at any time in human history. I'm working on images for a show I have coming up in July and this will be part of it. More to come about that later...

david Tinnon: Um, check who's making your coffee in the morning. :)

Reza: The "darkened corners" are referred to as "vignetting" -- a byproduct of the lens and camera combination I'm using. Vignette can occur "naturally" or it can be added/removed in post-processing. In this case I didn't add the vignette nor did I remove any of it; it was created by the lens/camera. In other images, I've added vignetting to create a "frame" of sorts, to throw the eye in one direction or another. It's fun to experiment with. You can create/remove vignetting in the Camera Raw processor that comes with CS2 or go to Filters-->Distort-->Lens Correction and use the "Vignette" sliders to your heart's content. :) Hope that answers your question.

Posted by Kathleen on May 15, 2006 11:58 PM