Canada Geese Overhead

This photo was take 26 minutes after the photo in the previous post. I marvel at how the sky, the light and the colors can change so radically in such a brief period of time.

Post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens at 24mm, ISO 400, shutter speed 1/100s, aperture f/20. Basic curves adjustment for contrast and saturation; color balancing for tone.

Comments

Kathleen , this is really, really good. The Birds and the Boy give this image a real emotional life-filled spirit. The colours of the clouds, I love 'em. Rock on !

Posted by Martin on February 21, 2007 4:07 AM

Wow! What a wonderful image - simply one of the best I have seen on your site. Everything is perfect - the gesture of the boy, the capture of the geese. Stunning.

Posted by LwS on February 21, 2007 4:44 AM

Sunrises and sunsets put on the best shows any time of year. This is another perfect photo.

Posted by Laurie on February 21, 2007 5:47 AM

Nice tones and lighting. Simply beautiful...

Posted by Claude on February 21, 2007 5:59 AM

Glad you didn't get cold feet and pack it up before you were able to record this. The vertical format really works here.

Posted by JPH on February 21, 2007 6:15 AM

Wow! Fantastic feeling! The shape of those birds' formation is just spectacular! Perfect composition. You sure know the art of capturing emotion on "film". If you would like to contribute some pictures to our site for artistic photographers, we would be more than happy! Our screening-team will give you useful feedback on every photo you upload and we will post your photoblog-address so that even more people will have the pleasure of finding it! This usually means a lot of new visitors! Hopefully you could find some inspiration there too. Take care! // Ralf

Posted by Ralf Stelander on February 21, 2007 7:05 AM

Hehe.. sine wave. Nice

Posted by Slava on February 21, 2007 8:28 AM

I love seeing the geese overhead. Very nice shot.

Posted by Alice on February 21, 2007 9:58 AM

Wonderful photo! Wow, that bird formation really makes this frame quite special.

Posted by Daniel Seguin on February 21, 2007 11:39 AM

Fantastic image! This really looks like the prairie where I live. Very nice.

Posted by teresa on February 21, 2007 1:54 PM

Trained geese or photoshop? Really Kathleen! Exactly over the munchkin? OK, OK, I'm willing to believe that the geese obey you as do the clouds, show dogs, tractors, calves, smoke, etc., etc.

We got a little snow this morning and we have some HUGE V's of branta canadensis going over this week. We are near Lake Lowell so the geese come over low and loud.

Thank your cast of man and geese and thank you again.

Posted by david tinnon on February 21, 2007 3:38 PM

Yeah! Keep those geese heading north. I am impatiently waiting to see them! This is a lovely image as always.

Posted by Roberta on February 21, 2007 5:46 PM

David Tinnon: Sorry, m'dear. No photoshop involved with the geese. For one thing, I'm adamantly opposed to 'adding' elements to photos -- I mean, what's the point? It's like cheating at solitaire. For another thing, I don't have the imagination of Mother Nature, nor the graphic arts skills to pull that stuff off. I'm just a dopey photographer.

The geese are 'over the munchkin' because my arms and legs work really well, even on slippery snow. :)

Actually, what's amazing is that there weren't 100+ geese in the photo; there are so many of them around here, and they're very busy this time of year, and at this time of day. They were honking in every direction that night.

Posted by Kathleen on February 21, 2007 8:02 PM

Again, beautiful beyond words :)

Posted by Roger on February 21, 2007 8:50 PM

Great Photo Kathleen.

I'm alaways amazed at how you manage to compose your pictures. Does the lens you are using help to capture so much of the scene. As with my 18-55mm lens I cannot seem to achieve the same depth.

Thanks

Mike

Posted by Mike on February 22, 2007 5:33 AM

I love the shadows. I know that you are looking west by the sunset, but the shadow seems to be both in front and behind (your son?). It makes the image appear supernatural. The eye that you have for your art is truly AMAZING! KEEP THOSE PICTURES COMING.

Posted by Dee on February 22, 2007 6:32 AM

Mike: I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'depth' - are you talking about the level of detail in the distance? In this case, I had the aperture at f/20, which is why you can see so clearly into the distance. The higher the aperture is set, the smaller the opening in the lens, which allows for more elements in focus.

Perhaps you're talking about the focal length of the lens, though. This was shot at a 24mm, and because I have a full frame digital camera, I'm getting the full 24mm. But most digital cameras aren't full frame. So if you're shooting with a Nikon D70, for example, the camera is reducing your field of view from 18mm to 24mm. You can read more about that by doing a search on "crop factor".

I don't know if I answered your question or not! I hope so! :)

Dee: I think you're probably seeing a trail left by a snowmobile. There really weren't any shadows at that time of day, in that low-angle light.

You can bring out a LOT more detail in these images by looking at them on larger monitor, or by simply turning off the lights or shutting the blinds in the room. The darker the room, the more detail you see.

Posted by Kathleen on February 22, 2007 11:37 AM

Kathleen,

I usually check your blog first every morning. Your photos remind me of our brief sojourn in Iowa. Thank you for your eye for beauty in the simple things. Such a blessing, even for a guy who knows little about photography.

Jim

Posted by Jim on February 22, 2007 2:06 PM

Hi Kathleen,

Sorry for not being specific. I think you have kind of answered the question. I take scenic shots and have the aperture at F22 and still cannot get the overall quality on my Nikon D50 with the 18-55MM Lens that I would like. It is for me about capturing ALL the detail as ultimately if I could produce anything that come close to the consistently excellent results I see on your site every day then I know I'll be satisfied.

IN the URL I have enclosed you will see a shot with F10 that I think could have been a much better shot. Apart from F22 could I do anything else in Post Production or anything at the time to improve it.

Any help would be much appreciated and thanks for taking to the time to reply. I'm still inspired by the standards you set.

Cheers

Mike

Posted by Mike on February 22, 2007 2:46 PM

Sorry Kathleen, Just followed the URL I posted link and it didn't work. This one should though.

Thanks

Mike

Posted by Mike on February 22, 2007 2:56 PM

Mike,

Kathleen has some great equipment and a top notch lens to boot, however the real magic is something that few people have or can buy. (shaking fist in the air and cursing)

Seriously though... practice practice practice.

Posted by Theron Tan on February 23, 2007 1:03 AM

Mike: Not sure which pic! :) There's a lot of them there.

Posted by Kathleen on February 23, 2007 7:01 AM

Hi Kathleen,

It's called Healing Spring light. I was really pleased with the shot and wanted to get just the right amount of rays bathing the countryside without turning the temperature down so much and losing the effect. I just wondered whether I could do any more. Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Posted by Mike on February 23, 2007 12:42 PM

Mike:Ok, gotcha. I'd try a circular polarizing filter or a graduated neutral density filter for a shot like that. Both filters work well on landscape scenes where you're trying to balance the brights and darks of sky and land.

There are techniques to do the same kind of thing in Photoshop -- you might try searching on ND filter techniques -- or check this one that I just found: http://www.fredmiranda.com/article_2/

My preference is to use the filter rather than do the work with Photoshop, but that's just me. I like being outdoors with the camera rather than indoors with the computer. :)

Posted by Kathleen on February 23, 2007 4:08 PM

Thanks Kathleen,

I'll take a look at the site.

I agree about trying to get out with the camera and look for the shot without relying on Photoshop. I don't have photoshop (which I think is a blessing) as there are so many fabricated pictures it becomes less about the original shot and more about post production.
Looks like I'll be getting some filters this weekend but I was reading in one of the photo magazines that it is useful to have one on the lens anyway as they help protect them.

I'll report back when I think I've taken something I'm proud of and thank you for helping me out.

Mike :))))

Posted by Mike Devitt on February 23, 2007 5:48 PM

that is such a lonely photo!!!!

Posted by Crash on March 1, 2007 1:38 PM