Famous Josh

I love when stories come full-circle!

This'll be a surprise if you've been following along for awhile: you may remember my shot from last summer called "Only Josh Can Prevent Wildfires." Well... this is THAT Josh!

I didn't know Josh until a few weeks ago; in fact, I wasn't sure there WAS a real Josh! I had no idea who did the "work" on that billboard. But the real Josh recently emailed out of the blue to take credit and to thank me for the photo. My response, of course, was to ask if I could take his picture!

So Josh and I had lunch today and he told me the full story behind the billboard: He'd been tempted to write on it for weeks. He finally got up on the sign platform and realized he couldn't reach. He spotted the bricks in a creek across the road (part of a crumbled chimney), hauled them onto the platform and began to write. Josh's friend was the "lookout" -- whenever a car drove by, Josh's friend would yell, and Josh would drop flat onto the platform. (Yowch!) It took about five loooong minutes to finish the job because there were so many cars going by that day.

When I posted the original photo, I found it funny that a commenter called Onyx thought I'd photoshopped the image in some way. To put that notion to rest for good (haha), here's Josh's friend's version of the event:

By the way, Josh is a chef. As he said to me today, he's obviously not a graffiti artist - just look at his handwriting.

Post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens at 24mm, ISO 400, shutter speed 1/1000s, aperture f/2.8. Basic curves adjustment for contrast and saturation; color balancing for tone.

Comments

ha. that's awesome. his expression is great. & what a tub!

Posted by yona on March 8, 2007 1:09 AM

Hello famous Josh! :)

Posted by alexandru savu on March 8, 2007 1:55 AM

Real nice story!

Posted by Hans on March 8, 2007 5:17 AM

Haha awesome story, great documentary Kathleen.

Posted by miklos on March 8, 2007 7:55 AM

Very cool. I love these type of shots - those related to a story are great to experience in a photoblog and are nice distractions from the usual. Although your usual is far more compelling than mosts :) - Matt

Posted by Oko on March 8, 2007 8:04 AM

Very funny story & situation. Good to see you've done your detective work.

Posted by Justin Gaynor on March 8, 2007 8:48 AM

A nice ending to the story, Kathleen, and a little like having an exclamation mark at the end of a sentence!!

Posted by Blayne on March 8, 2007 9:18 AM

BTW, did he cook lunch for you? LOL

Posted by Blayne on March 8, 2007 9:19 AM

I like it . Very good colours in here ;) I think he is a nice boy ;)

Posted by Martin on March 8, 2007 9:22 AM

Haha, great story. Because of it, today's photo is as funny as the billboard one, I reckon...

Posted by Gonzo Gallery on March 8, 2007 10:41 AM

Haha!!! I love it! Great that you made contact wiht Josh.

Posted by Laurie on March 8, 2007 2:43 PM

I once enjoyed spraying a lot of paint, (airbrush) but not too fond of the idea of anyone taking a spray can to something they do not own. Easy fame though. Harder to be a famous chef.

So thanks to Josh the Famous Chef and Kathleen the famous photographer of the simple pleasures and natural beauties of the greater Bucks Co. area.

Posted by david tinnon on March 8, 2007 8:52 PM

I knew right away!

Posted by Cousin Jenn on March 9, 2007 12:12 AM

Wow, I really am famous now!

It was great meeting you the other day and I hope that we can work together in the future. Im not so sure Ill be spray-painting things too frequently, but Im sure Ill be up to something you might enjoy.

Thanks to all who enjoyed my work, it is nice to see that all of the smiles I assumed I caused, really happened.
Take care

Famous Josh

Posted by Famous Josh on March 9, 2007 1:48 AM

to make the story full circle -- josh gets jailed or fined for vandalism because of this picture. that would be cool.

Posted by hbb on March 9, 2007 9:16 AM

Re; hbb, Perhaps Famous Josh (The Chef who has "signed on" to prevent wild fires) has a yet un-famous twin who can prevent graffiti and make it a Full Famous Family Circle.

Posted by david tinnon on March 9, 2007 10:31 AM

For those who think the graffiti rises to the level of a fine or jail time, get a sense of humor. The billboard is for advertising and will soon be covered over. This act did not destroy the message it enhanced it. In fact, they should pay him for making the ad even more memorable.

Posted by Bill on March 10, 2007 7:04 PM

Blayne: Josh didn't cook for me. Yet. :)

Bill: The billboard was changed a week after I took the original shot in July -- probably not because of the graffiti, though. It gets changed regularly.

I don't condone vandalizing or spray painting anyone's property. I just enjoy reporting what I see in the ever-changing environment around here.

Despite that disclaimer, I find the story funny. And having worked in advertising/marketing during my corporate career, I probably would've thanked Josh for enhancing the advertising campaign.

Posted by Kathleen on March 12, 2007 9:18 AM