Cashmere Goat (not a Shetland Sheep afterall!)

Taken last week when we still had substantial snow/ice on the ground. I'm fairly certain this is a Shetland - but chime in if you know better and I'll correct the title. One thing for certain is that she had the softest wool ever!

UPDATE: This is definitely a GOAT, not a sheep. Thanks to my commenters for correcting me. I'm not 100% certain it's a cashmere goat, but it sure FELT like cashmere, so that's where we stand at the moment. :)

Post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L at 17mm, ISO 200, 1/2500s at f/4. Basic curves adjustment and color balancing.

Comments

Awwww...Baaaaaa...so cute!

She's a beauty. I like the somewhat quizzical tilt to her head.

This is a beautiful shot in a terrific setting.

Posted by Laurie on March 27, 2007 5:52 AM

hehe, sheep always look curious! I love this shot, I love the snow, the light, the bit of hay in its mouth, excellent work!

Posted by Neil on March 27, 2007 7:30 AM

baaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Posted by on March 27, 2007 7:36 AM

What a funny shot. Well exposed, it's tough to keep the color in the sky on pictures like this.

Posted by Justin Gaynor on March 27, 2007 8:44 AM

So sweet! haha This makes me laugh. He's like, "Yea yea, just take the photo..." Nice shot :)

Posted by Teresa on March 27, 2007 9:36 AM

I love the detail in the the subtle shadows of the sheep's wool and the hay emerging from the corners of its mouth. It's kind of giving the camera a "what are you lookin' at?" look. Beautiful work (as usual).

Posted by Russ D. on March 27, 2007 9:48 AM

This is just flat-out gorgeous, Kathleen. It's beautifully exposed, and I love the fence in the background too.

Posted by Judith Polakoff on March 27, 2007 11:15 AM

Self-portrait ????? :-) It's a funny shot!! I'm one of your fans!

Posted by ATZUCAC on March 27, 2007 11:59 AM

This is a beautiful photo. However, I used to raise Shetlands and I'm pretty certain in saying this isn't one. In fact if it wasn't for the lack of horns I'd say this was a goat.

Posted by Roberta on March 27, 2007 12:41 PM

It might be a mohair goat (though some of these tend to have fuzzy heads and horns as well).

Love the picture!

Posted by Mary on March 27, 2007 5:08 PM

very cool.

Posted by Taswir on March 27, 2007 8:16 PM

Such a cute expression on his face.

Posted by laanba on March 27, 2007 8:56 PM

This one is so much fun. It's a beautiful photograph that just makes you smile. Thanks.

Posted by Noreen on March 27, 2007 11:22 PM

A fine shot - really like the lighting. At first I suspected some fill flash? Now, I suspect not.

Posted by Simon C on March 28, 2007 4:00 AM

Not baaaaaad.

Yeah, I know it's cheesy.

Posted by Angry Buddha on March 28, 2007 7:44 AM

Blue sky and a pile of munchies. One cool sheep (goat, pigmy lama, Yota-in-a-Cardigan, whatever,).....and one very cool composition with the lens adding some interesting angles to tree and post alike.

(...and is that hay or straw? lets not fool around here!)

Thank you, mystery beast. Thank you, Kathleen

Posted by david tinnon on March 28, 2007 10:45 AM

Such a great image. All the elements combine perfectly to creat the image, the grass in his mouth is the cherry on top. I love it. somehow it feels a very humanistic study.

Posted by LwS on March 28, 2007 11:56 AM

He doesn't seem a bit put off by your lens, does he? Still chewing...
Thanks for yet another fun shot of your area. Keep 'em coming.

Posted by Photo Buffet on March 28, 2007 5:31 PM

What a sweetie!

David Tinnon: Your posts always make for such lovely poetry and idealism. Kathleen should put you on the payroll.

Posted by Victoria on March 28, 2007 6:19 PM

The pupil in a goat's eye is rectangular in bright light instead of round. as quoted in http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/KidsFarm/InTheBarn/Goats/factsheet.cfm
In my opinion (and I have a little Veterinary background){25 plus years, but almost all in small animal}. This is either an American Cashmere or a Mohair goat, but I would bet big money that it is a goat rather that a sheep, despite the long hair coat.

Posted by Dee on March 28, 2007 7:18 PM

Ok, the verdict on the eyes is in - it's definitely a GOAT! The pupils are rectangular. I can't quite figure the breed, though. It doesn't seem like other cashmeres or mohairs I've seen. (I think mohairs all have horns.) It sure FELT like cashmere, though. So for now, it's a Cashmere Goat! If anyone else knows otherwise, I'll change it again! :)

Thank you Roberta, Mary and Dee!

Posted by Kathleen on March 29, 2007 2:39 AM

I have it confirmed by one of the Veterinarians that I work with that it is a goat. Goats also have the longer ears than sheep. She thought Angora, but it does not fit the descricption I found about goat breeds at http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/goats/
If any one has the time and motovation to reseach this further this site will help. KEEP UP THE EXCELLENT PHOTO WORK. I love your site and I am a Durham resident.

Posted by Dee on March 29, 2007 6:11 PM

AZTUCAC: All portraits that a photographer takes, or a painter paints, are self-portraits.

Simon C: No fill flash. Don't use flash unless noted. Lots of reflection from the ice/snow here.

David Tinnon: Hay! Ya can't eat straw; it's used for bedding.

LwS: One of my goals in shooting animal portraits is to bring awareness to the fact that we're all very chromosonally-related. People aren't all that different from fruit flies, when it comes down to genetic code. All animals are feeling creatures, worthy of respect, no matter how low they are perceived to be on the grand totem pole of life.

Dee: You're awesome. Let's meet up sometime!

Posted by Kathleen on April 2, 2007 9:22 AM

Lovely clarity of light. Nice work.

Posted by milou on April 2, 2007 7:57 PM

This looks like the same facial expression that Marlon Brando had on the poster of him sitting on the motorcycle from the movie The Wild One.

Posted by on April 12, 2007 3:47 PM