Visiting the Thaler Farm

We spent some time at the Thaler dairy farm on Thursday evening and I took so many pictures (12GB!) that I decided to make a little visual essay. There are a few more vertical shots I'll post after these.

We were there during milking and feeding time so what you're seeing is Jakey making feed for the cows, which they eat as they return from being milked. I need to get a few technical questions answered and I'll add a longer story of what's going on. In the meantime, if you have any questions, let me know! :)

Post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens at many different ISOs, shutter speeds and f/stops. If you want details on any particular image just hollar and I'll dig it up for you. All images had a basic curves adjustment for contrast and slight color balancing for tone.

Comments

12GB?! Wow, that is alot! Definitely worth it though as this essay is fantastic. I especially love 'Cows Eating' & 'Cow Teeth', two amazing photographs.

Posted by Gavin on April 21, 2007 2:12 AM

They're all great, and together they do tell quite a story. I think what distinguishes your photos from some of the many others is that the all seem so 'real' and believable. I feel like I am right there with you as you hit the shutter.

Posted by jason on April 21, 2007 2:56 AM

I like that radio :-)
Except for the baseball cap, this could be a very Dutch picture series.

BdM

Posted by Bram de Mooij on April 21, 2007 4:59 AM

Wonderful series which really stands up for itself. Congrats Kathleen.

Posted by LwS on April 21, 2007 6:30 AM

Great photo essay. Gives me a glimpse of what goes on inside all these little dairy farms I drive by daily.

Posted by Anita Bower on April 21, 2007 6:37 AM

Devine Bovines Online.(I do like a good b&w picture!) I think I've seen car seat covers that look like Ms. Spotted. Is this a registered herd? Do they market their milk themselves or is it sold through a co-op? Sony could use your radio shot in a testimonial on how their equipment survives in real-life situations.

Posted by JPH on April 21, 2007 7:14 AM

Kathleen this is a wonderful, wonderful photo essay. They are all stellar photos and they all work together perfectly to tell the story.

Posted by Laurie on April 21, 2007 7:19 AM

What a great series! It's so good to see Jakie's handsome face again. The cow's teeth,the eyelashes,three of the cows eating from the floor are all very interesting photos for us none farmers. The barn radio itself is a work of art! That adorable child will have so many rich memories.

Posted by Victoria on April 21, 2007 9:59 AM

Great photos, I like this way photograph.
Your essey to communicate to life.

Markku

Posted by Markku on April 21, 2007 12:23 PM

The Barn Radio is my favorite. I can't believe it plays! Great essay, you should do more of these =D

Posted by Michael George on April 21, 2007 12:56 PM

Really a great photo essay. It reminds me of my childhood days. Btw: I`ve been enjoying your photoblog for more than one year now. And - finally - you`ve inspired me to start taking photos. Thank you!

Posted by Doris on April 21, 2007 1:27 PM

Very neat! I like stories. I especially like that you kept the text down to a minimum and let the images tell the story. Nicely done!

Posted by mikelangelo on April 21, 2007 4:40 PM

Oh, wow. I apparently did miss THIS kind of your series.

I simply adore cows. Being a vegetarian, with a clear conscience can I call them the most romantic creatures on this Earth. Just have a look at their eyelashes, at the posture full of humility and reflection, even when they are being fed. I mean it.

Jakey – hmm. I bet every girl would die for a chance to 'listen' one of his lectures. Great portraits as usually.

And last but not least, I'm more and more fond of the part of your work including so called ugliness. The old sofa shot posted several days ago, today – the radio and the dilapidated building next to the silo; they all create unique and intriguing atmosphere. It also makes me associate these shots with the stuff of my favourite Polish photographer, Tomasz Tomaszewski [his shots will surely convey more than my bedtime English: http://www.tomasztomaszewski.com/ ].

I hope to see more of the 'dark' side of Pennsylvania soon.

Posted by Marta on April 21, 2007 5:32 PM

"Awesome" That's what my boys said after viewing this. They thought it seemed as real as their visit to their uncle's dairy farm.

Wonderful.

Posted by melody on April 22, 2007 1:09 AM

Love your photos! Wow!
My favourite is the first one "Cow's eating from the feed bunk".
:-)

Posted by Louisa on April 22, 2007 7:53 AM

I feel like I was just there--Boots'n'clothes perfumed by those lovely bovines. Thanks for the trip to the farm!

Posted by Gatah on April 22, 2007 11:48 AM

Kathleen,
Great searies being around Jakey has got to be interesting and fun .Continued success .
Adolph

Posted by adolph on April 22, 2007 2:56 PM

I tagged you for a "thinking blogger" award. Don't feel like you have to participate, but I wanted you to know I featured you on my blog and that I love your space here.

Posted by Lori on April 22, 2007 10:37 PM

I love the photos, Kathleen.
I love photos of cows. They are so photogenic! And as I've said before, your photos make this city girl long for the country. Especially as a mom of 2 young boys.
And by the way, does the Thaler Farm conduct visits to the farm for outsiders?

Posted by glassgirl on April 24, 2007 11:28 AM

What kind of music do the cows prefer?

Posted by on April 24, 2007 8:33 PM

1. After 6 years, cows still intrigued by the "new paint" smell in feed bunk.

2. Jakey speculates on the chances of a second bag of flower exploding in the same barn.

3. Never again need you lay awake and night wondering if a cow can stick it's tongue up it's nose.

4. Best appearance by a radio in a photoblog--ever....and best performance by bailing twine in a supporting roll.

5. A silo finished in glazed ceramic tile....really...and the grout spacers are still in place? What is that?

6. Apprentice barley pitcher gives last rights to radio.

7. That lunch looks like is came across the border by the kilo. Roll'em if you got'em! (those cows do look mellow.)

8. Just say mooooooo!

9. Jakey laughing at radio.

10. Apprentice farm comedian tries out his 137 best cow jokes.....some cows laugh.....

11. Now we know that the "number of the beast" was off by only 603.

12. ....at the Gates of Dawn.

Sorry Kathleen, your work is so compelling I can't help it. The fact that the list of comments on a series of "cows and barn" photos is up to 20 and counting says it all.......well almost all, I'll just add a few more little.......does this count as 12 comments, or 13?

Thank Jakey, the apprentice, and the cows....and you...

Posted by David Tinnon on April 25, 2007 9:00 PM

12 gb! Good Lord!!! How many cards do you carry with you? Or do you dump stuff to a laptop when your in the field?

Posted by Corey Richardson on April 26, 2007 1:06 PM

These are beautiful pictures!

I grew up on a cattle farm (beef not dairy), and we had a barn radio too! So not only are the pictures wonderful, they brought up so many good memories.

Thanks for sharing!

Posted by Melanie on April 27, 2007 12:07 PM

Peace people

We love you

Posted by HelloWorld on April 28, 2007 8:57 AM

a very good set of images that tells a nice little story.

Posted by peter on May 1, 2007 12:11 PM

The cow teeth makes me laugh, love this photo.

I also love the eyelashes!

Beautiful photos as always.

xo