Jenn in Queen Anne's Lace (Daucus carota)

This photo was taken on Thursday afternoon. Jenn's lovely dress is by Rebecca Taylor. The soft look of this shot is due to a wide open lens at f/1.2.

Queen Anne's Lace was introduced to North America by European settlers who used it for medicinal purposes. It's also known as Wild Carrot, and the vegetable carrot was bred from this plant.

Post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon 85mm f/1.2L lens at f/1.2, 1/6400s, ISO 100. Basic curves adjustments.

p.s. Here's a shot from Jessyel and Sarah's wedding in Colorado last weekend -- it was awesome!

This wedding photo was shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens at 27mm, ISO 400, f/6.3, shutter 1/200s. Very little post-processing done to this image -- a basic curves adjustment and a slight crop. The light was natural. A thunderstorm was about to pass overhead, the sun was peeking out a tiny bit behind me and the wind was blowing like crazy - Mother Nature came through! :)

Vote for this site in the 2007 Photoblog Awards and the 2007 Blogger's Choice Awards

Comments

Really love the softness of this image. She looks very ethereal and beautiful.
I started working with some of Canon's higher aperture lenses recently (I've only gone up to 2.8) and I've gotta say, you've done a remarkable job with the the perfect amount of focus. Nicely done!

Posted by Solaria on July 27, 2007 12:54 AM

That's a beautiful portrait. The lens delivered perfectly and the nice out of focus areas in the back really make your model and the dress stand out.

Posted by Jason on July 27, 2007 1:39 AM

Beautiful portrait of a beautiful woman. Great work.

Posted by LwS on July 27, 2007 4:38 AM

Welcome home. What a pleasant picture. You've captured and frozen the moment for us all to enjoy.

Posted by JPH on July 27, 2007 7:22 AM

What an evocative shot. The softness and graceful nature of the entire scene brings thoughts of a simpler time and place; of walking barefoot through the fields, breathing in the fresh air and taking in the vast beauty that surrounds us.

The wedding photo is gorgeous! They will be thrilled!

Welcome back!

Posted by Laurie on July 27, 2007 9:06 AM

Beautiful shot, but I gotta say; I *love* that dress!

Posted by Janet on July 27, 2007 9:08 AM

Absolutely stunning depth of field. Really great portrait!

Posted by Justin on July 27, 2007 9:32 AM

love the mood in this shot. Your wedding portrait is stunning too.

Posted by on July 27, 2007 11:24 AM

The depth of field here is great. Very pretty picture.

Posted by Fred on July 27, 2007 1:46 PM

This is a beautiful, soft portrait. I love all the Queen Anne's Lace all around her and the DOF. It really adds to the character, softness, and simpleness of the portrait and gives it a timeless quality. The wedding shot is also beautiful and I love the lighting in that shot. Both are Very, Very well done.

Posted by Russ on July 27, 2007 2:41 PM

If more wedding pictures looked that terrific, more couples might cut a deal just to get in the shot. (and I like the little landscape, distant left)

And as for Jenn, well double wow! A "babe" caught in a depth of field! (I will never think of carrots quite the same again......ever!)

All that light aire and lace make an intriguing contrast to Jenn's deep and thoughtful expression. You have done a wonderful job of recording a totally captivating face....which leads me to the gnawing question, 4W?

Thank the newlyweds, the gorgeous "Jenn'n Lace,"
and thank you, Kathleen for serving up the double shot of art.

Posted by david tinnon on July 27, 2007 4:24 PM

The expression is great, I love that... The landscape is, of course, awesome as well.

This is my favorite of all the portraits you have done recently.

Posted by Michael George on July 27, 2007 5:01 PM

one of the nicest pictures I have seen in a long time. I do not comment a lot on your posts, but I am a big fan.

Posted by Shek on July 27, 2007 7:25 PM

This is extraordinary! This photo just has it all, mood, composition, perfect expression and a very beautiful play of the blurry foreground and background creating depth and directing the viewer's eye! A major favourite!

Posted by Ralf on July 27, 2007 8:39 PM

You simply got everything right with this one, Kathleen. A moment of great beauty, captured.

Posted by Nathan on July 27, 2007 10:25 PM

Very nice portrait ! beautyful colors and lighting !

Posted by olivier [CoolPixels] on July 28, 2007 2:18 AM

Nice capture, beautiful girl!

Posted by Kris [PiXistenZ] on July 28, 2007 7:25 AM

Lovely work...I enjoy your photos!

Posted by Ahunna on July 28, 2007 11:51 AM

*woot*

Posted by Geoff on July 28, 2007 7:52 PM

she is beautiful

Posted by jesse on July 29, 2007 3:33 AM

She stands in a field looking so natural that she might belong there. Her gossamer gown the texture of the leaves and the color of the flowers. She should be at peace but instead her face shows anxiety, sadness and trepidation. Her stance is one of defiance and outrage. Her mind, body and soul feel that a change is coming; a change not for the better but for the worse. This field is threatened by the encroachment of man. Development is pushing ever outward destroying the serenity and beauty of this place. When will we say "enough" ? When will we say " use what you have and leave what is left of nature alone"? Come, let's rise up and stand with her to preserve what we can before it is gone forever.

Posted by Willow on July 29, 2007 9:54 AM

Kathleen, a truly amazing photograph...perfect DOF, comp, lovely!
My compliments :)

Posted by Rafael Chan on July 30, 2007 7:31 AM

This is absolutely gorgeous!

Posted by Zishaan on July 30, 2007 8:06 PM

Simply stunning image. Its too beautiful. Love the mood.

Posted by Pinto on July 31, 2007 7:49 AM

i really really enjoy the soft look of the photo. it gives me sense of feminism and the beauty in nature. i think a b&w version would also be neat to see.

Posted by armeen on August 2, 2007 10:37 AM

very romantic scene and nice soft colors, plus her attitude is really good.
I'm thinking of getting a 85mm f1.2. Are you happy with it ?

Posted by pierre on April 14, 2008 1:07 PM

Hello, this portrait is excellent I like this composition !

Posted by olivier on May 30, 2008 11:20 AM