Haybales & Pumpkins

This photograph was taken on Sunday afternoon at a "pick your own" farmer's market in the Lehigh Valley. About ten minutes after I took this shot there were 30 people wandering around the field looking for the "perfect" pumpkin.

Husband: "How's this?"
Wife: "Too tall."
Husband: "OK, what about this?"
Wife: "Too fat."
Husband: "Alright [grrrrroan], this is the last one I'm picking up."
Wife: "Perfect, put it in the cart."

Post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens at 24mm, ISO 200, f/14, shutter 1/125s. Curves adjustments, color balancing.

Vote for this site in the 2007 Photoblog Awards and the 2007 Blogger's Choice Awards

Comments

Snapshot of the bountiful harvest. Think of all the pies and faces possible. Reminds me of the last time the horizontal hold gave up on the TV.

Posted by JPH on October 3, 2007 6:10 AM

wow what a strange and unusual sight...a little bit spooky, its allmost as if theyre very slowly creeping towards me.

Posted by padraig on October 3, 2007 6:15 AM

very cool shot. Interesting composition.

Posted by Keith De-Lin on October 3, 2007 7:29 AM

Looks like the Autumnal American Flag! Cool!

Posted by Betsy Barron on October 3, 2007 7:38 AM

So Pretty! I love this time of year.

Posted by bag on October 3, 2007 9:55 AM

This is a very nice point of view, the layered structure is great.

Posted by Piet Osefius on October 3, 2007 10:10 AM

Betsy Barron: I'm glad you said that. I was wondering if anyone would pick up on what was going through my mind when I took the shot -- it was the painting by Jasper Johns called "Flag (Moratorium)" where he inversed the colors of the American flag. You can see the painting here:

There's a cool optical illusion that goes with the painting: If you stare at the little white dot in the center of the painting for 30 seconds, then look at a white surface or white wall, you'll see the flag as it usually appears.

I'm sure someone out there can explain what the phenomenon is called. :)

Here's a flag painted by someone named Thaw Malinart whose colors are a bit closer to the ones in my photograph:

Posted by Kathleen on October 3, 2007 10:37 AM

Nice shot. The shadows from the hay gives the illusion that they are stairs. Good work.

Posted by jt on October 3, 2007 10:58 AM

i love the composition. great placement of horizontal lines, and a unique take on a much photographed subject. very nice!

Posted by heather on October 3, 2007 11:22 AM

Leave it to Betsy to see the flag! ; - ) I'm always startled when I drive by a field to suddenly find all those orange pumpkins just sitting there naked. It happens overnight. One day the field is covered in green; the next day the leaves are gone and the orange orbs are exposed for the world to see!

Posted by RD on October 3, 2007 3:27 PM

What a wonderful Photo. Takes me back to my growing age of early teens in Nebraska. I really enjoy your work K. I hope to have a site pertaining to my track in Hawaii.

Posted by Baldwin W Walker on October 3, 2007 3:58 PM

Nice perspective. Were you standing on the car, a tractor, a hill?

Posted by Marie on October 3, 2007 5:36 PM

Marie: I was standing on a platform about 20 feet high. Attached to the platform are two huge black plastic tubes that kids (and adults) can slide through to the ground. (They're fast and fun!)

Posted by Kathleen on October 3, 2007 6:08 PM

Beautiful. It is very symbolic in the way that it looks like the flag.

It looks like there are lots of wonderful pumpkins to pick from. I loved taking the kids pumpkin picking.

Posted by Laurie on October 3, 2007 7:28 PM

I like this...it's an interesting pattern. Good work.

Posted by Steve on October 3, 2007 8:03 PM

You are amazing.

Posted by on October 3, 2007 8:07 PM

My first though when I saw this was "flag."

My birthday is halloween so the rituals surrounding October have always been special.

I love how many pumpkins there are, seems to go on forever!

Imagine if America had that many states...woah...

Posted by Michael George on October 3, 2007 9:12 PM

nicely framed, really like it.

Posted by gSaenz on October 3, 2007 11:31 PM

This is absolutely awesome. Love the concept of a minimalist graphics.
BTW, I can't stand Jasper Jones, but love Kathleen Connally.

Posted by VZ on October 4, 2007 11:47 PM

Love the perspective on this. Nicely done.

Posted by Alice on October 5, 2007 9:57 AM

Small town attacked by hoard of wild pumpkins, Mayor says, "it's time to bail!".......impromptu barrier saves town with only minutes to spare thanks to the understandable speed limitations of even the most savage pumpkin hoard.

Posted by david tinnon on October 5, 2007 11:43 AM

Another stunning one!

Posted by Evi on October 9, 2007 3:55 PM

The mayor was latter quoted, "They attacked at dawn! We can only thank God that the barricades held".

Posted by David Tinnon on October 21, 2007 12:33 PM

Today's post on Hyde Daily Photo is Pumpkins Galore and I've included links to more than sixty pumpkin posts on blogs around the world including your own. Happy halloween to everyone.

Posted by Gerald on October 31, 2007 6:08 AM