Early Snow #2

Another photograph from Monday morning, during our unexpected and very early snowfall. This is a full color image, not a monochrome image with added color.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Hope you took a break, didn't answer any email, spent time with someone you love, and had a lovely feast.

Post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens at 60mm, ISO 1000, f/6.3, shutter 1/500s. Curves adjustments and color balancing.

Comments

Absolutely stunning shot !!! I love that color.... that's the best bit about autumn. But with snow around it like this, a rare sight for me.

Posted by Tim on November 23, 2007 2:21 AM

The waterfall of color near and the ghost of color in the far make this overlap of seasons intriguing. I spend everyday with someone I love (thanks to my wife) but Thanksgiving I got to share it with many more.

Posted by JPH on November 23, 2007 10:11 AM

Wonderful, and lucky. We didn't get any snow here in Philadelphia.
Yesterday me and my wife were invited for a Thanksgiving diner to a friends house at Stewartsville, NJ and as we took 611 all the way up. As we drove I noticed a sign for Durham township. And, of course, the first thing that enters my mind is that this is where Kathleen takes her pictures. You live in a beautiful place.

Posted by Alex on November 23, 2007 11:11 AM

Simply beautiful.

Posted by Digital Photo Ted on November 23, 2007 1:49 PM

This is stunning. My favorite of your first snow series by far. Thanks for sharing

Posted by Betsy Barron on November 23, 2007 6:58 PM

Well, we have tried it, but the two of us can not hide the fact that we are different. We are different from you and different from each other. Our appearance under the blanket of accepted society does not keep us safe, does not keep us secure, does not keep us warm. Instead, It weighs us down, it tries to smother that which truly makes us who we are. We don't want to be famous, but we do want to be known. Known as two of many whose dream it is to make the world a better place for everyone. A place to learn about what it means to try, to stumble, to find sorrow, to feel disappointment, to create joy and experience the peace of knowing. So, keep your blanket, we will find warmth in the knowledge that we are doing what is right.

Posted by Willow on November 24, 2007 3:21 AM

What can I say? It IS my favorite time of the year. And you certainly captured the spirit of early winter in that shot. Misty, a bit magical, the last spots of autum colors still there... Truly gorgeous photo, thanks for sharing! Made certainly for a nice start for my weekend.

Posted by Thomas on November 24, 2007 5:56 AM

Beautiful shot of this early snow fall. Nice color contrast and composition.

Posted by John Maslowski\ on November 24, 2007 10:19 AM

KATHLEEN ,
Beautiful ! really enjoy the joy your photoghaphy brings us , Thanks again .
Adolph

Posted by Adolph on November 24, 2007 11:16 AM

Fall meets winter and fall is reluctant to let go it's colors. Simply beautiful.

I hope your Thanksgiving was a wonderful one for you and your family.

Posted by Laurie on November 24, 2007 11:39 AM

holy crap! you got snow!?!?! already!?!?

Posted by crash on November 24, 2007 7:47 PM

That's a rare and beautiful combination -- snow, fog, and autumn leaves. Wonderful shot, Kathleen, and beautifully framed.

Posted by Judith Polakoff on November 24, 2007 9:32 PM

Willow, your words are as lovely as the photograph

Posted by Gold Dust on November 24, 2007 10:11 PM

I for one particularly love how very vertical some of those trees are. Just beautiful, that's all.

Posted by RD on November 24, 2007 11:33 PM

Ahh, snow! I wonder if we will be lucky enough to see any here in the South of England this year?

Really like the gentle colour and soft 'glow' of this shot. Compositionally though it seems a little awkward - almost two shots in one, the colourful tree on the right and the field of trunks on the left, separated by the very distinct upright trunk in the mid ground.

I'd love to see a more straightforward shot of the tree trunks, if you have one...?

Posted by Simon on November 25, 2007 1:00 AM

Stunning photograph. The color contrast, the detail rendition, the composition... I would hang this on my wall.

Cheers,
~S

Posted by Salar on November 25, 2007 10:46 AM

The stark contrast of this lone banner of autumn in winter's world is just plain eerie, and greatly magnified by the depth and atmosphere of the enlarged version. There is a metaphysical quality here that is at once beautiful and unsettlingly. (Two qualities often shared by the work of Willow's pen, which once again adds depth to dimension. {or is it the other way around?})

A well-chilled thanks to K&W

Posted by David Tinnon on November 25, 2007 12:13 PM

Autumn's banner flies alone in Winter's world. A stark image of solitude that seems to take on metaphysical proportions. At once beautiful and unsettling, (two qualities often dispenced by the pen of Willow as she again adds depth to dimension. {or is it the other way around?})

A well-chilled thank you to K&W

Posted by David Tinnon on November 25, 2007 12:28 PM

Beautiful shot Kathleen. I love how the remaining autumn leaves bring warmth to this winter scene. I didn't get any of the snow - too far west, but mine will come eventually - haven't seen a winter yet here with no snow!

Posted by Kim on November 25, 2007 8:27 PM

Wow, this is really beautiful!

Posted by Alice on November 27, 2007 3:21 PM

Kathleen, you are just fantastic!

Posted by scott on November 28, 2007 2:29 AM

Amazing snow series! You should print some and make them postcards for Christmas!

Posted by Evi on November 28, 2007 2:51 PM

Simon: Sorry to take so long answering! Hope you get to read this. I don't have another shot with just the tree trunks. I could crop this one for you if you want your own personal version of it. :) Let me know. Appreciate your comment!

Posted by Kathleen on December 4, 2007 10:05 PM