Early Snow #5

We had our first snow on November 18th and 19th and I took +/- 400 shots between the two days. This is another in that series of photographs.

This photo was taken through the windshield of my car along Durham Road, in front of my favorite tree in Durham Township -- it's a red oak and I'm guessing it's about 200-250 years old.

One thing I learned is that it's not easy taking a windshield shot with the 70-200 lens unless you put the seat back a bit! :)

Post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens at 70mm, ISO 400, f/2.8, shutter 1/640s. Curves adjustments, color balancing.

Comments

So this how you have redefined what VW means..... View through Windshield! Very winsome.

Posted by JPH on November 29, 2007 7:31 AM

Lovely shot, neat effect in the middle of the photo from your windscreen!

Posted by Donncha O Caoimh on November 29, 2007 7:35 AM

Wow this is awesome! I'm jealous that it's already snowing for you, I wish we could get some here in New Jersey!

Posted by PictPicture.com on November 29, 2007 8:10 AM

Surreal and beautiful. The effect is stunning. I think I like this even better than the previous one.

Posted by Laurie on November 29, 2007 8:13 AM

真漂亮!

Posted by 杨海中 on November 29, 2007 8:26 AM

oh wow, again awesome shot.
Thanks for the photos btw, we went over the cds last night! quite amazing.

Posted by aminTorres on November 29, 2007 8:37 AM

I have been loving this early snow series. Yes, I love snow, but mostly I love these photographs. I've had to rotate my desktop image constantly because each new installment becomes my favorite. Thanks.

Posted by Geoff on November 29, 2007 12:05 PM

TOTALLY DREAMY--painting with light, unreal! Thank God for adjustable seats and THAT seat was adjusted perfectly. Perfectly amazing. Can this be my favorite tree too?.....and my favorite double yellow lines?.....and my favorite house on the left?.....and.....everything?

Tip for Geoff, I avoided having to pick one by putting them all into one folder and having them auto rotate as a screen saver slide show.

Posted by david tinnon on November 29, 2007 1:38 PM

Who would have thought a shot through a windshield could add such a cool dimension? beautiful shot.

Posted by Jason on November 29, 2007 3:38 PM

My free issue of Pennsylvania magazine arrived in the mail this week. It was delightful to see your photos on printed on slick glossy instead of seen on the laptop screen.

Posted by Marie on November 29, 2007 4:40 PM

just a beautiful gauzy dream-like memory of winters past. gorgeous.

Posted by dimitri on November 29, 2007 10:48 PM

"Through the windshield" often means sub-par quality, but not so here: this is amazing.

Posted by Anthony DiSante on November 29, 2007 11:05 PM

Awh this is amazing!

Posted by Gavin on November 30, 2007 3:14 AM

I'm really enjoying the snow theme.... and on top of that... this picture just keeps me wanting to look at it... fantastik!

Posted by Greg on November 30, 2007 1:51 PM

Opened your page to a rust-colored blur that looked like guts, or drowned leaves. Then as I moved down the picture revealed itself. Worked like a Chinese scroll: a little at a time revealed through unrolling. Curious that it moved from what seemed sublimely abstract color lumps to the very mundane road.
And then I had to scroll up again to see what I saw.

Posted by Pat on November 30, 2007 6:05 PM

Great shot, hard to believe it was through the windshield. Very creative way to make a great image.

Posted by John Maslowski on December 1, 2007 9:10 AM

This looks like a dream.

A very, very good dream.

Posted by Michael George on December 2, 2007 12:23 AM

Some of us may drive and some of us may be driven but we all move inexorably forward. We must not be afraid to pull off the road for awhile to rest, regroup and receive the "sustenance" we need to regain our strength. The fog may still be in front of us but remember that we have already traveled through it to get to where we now stand. When we are ready to accept the past, understand the present and face the future, then we will get back on the road and continue the journey.

Posted by Willow on December 4, 2007 6:10 PM

I found your page through Clary Pfeiffer's blog... Clary is right. You are amazing. I think I'll become a regular! :)

Posted by DarbiG on December 6, 2007 4:52 PM

Very cool shot Kathleen! You were very lucky to still have so much autumn color when this snow came through - by mid-November all of mine was pretty much gone.

Posted by Kim on December 8, 2007 6:14 AM