Jenn, Windy Afternoon

This photo was taken last Wednesday in a field at the Thaler dairy farm. Jenn is my niece - she was home from college for a few days and spent some time modeling for me. Jenn is majoring in biochemistry and wants to become a pharmacist. Helping her study is a real treat, lemme tell ya! :)

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon 85mm f/1.2L lens at f/2.5, 1/8000s (it was really windy!), ISO 200. Curves adjustments and color balancing.

Thank you for visiting Durham Township! (Especially Jenn!)

Comments

Wind always adds appeal. I really enjoy the colors here, all from the same palette except for that cool blue.

Although her expression is not the most intriguing, her eyes do bring you right into the curves of the scarf, and it's great how it really billows out at the ends.

Posted by Michael George on January 14, 2008 1:10 AM

Love the colours and the detail - brought this beautiful models features :)

Posted by Craig Wilson on January 14, 2008 1:56 AM

what a wonderful portrait.

Posted by Keith De-Lin on January 14, 2008 5:35 AM

i love that scarf, made of porcelain, marble or alabaster!

Posted by Michael Singer on January 14, 2008 5:44 AM

La fotografĂ­a: preciosa; Jenn, guapisima!

Posted by Lucas on January 14, 2008 6:14 AM

There once was a lady from Durham
Taking photos of the family haram.
The wind took a blow
Moving scarf to and fro
Fast shutter makes shot - no blur 'em.

Posted by JPH on January 14, 2008 6:29 AM

The graceful flow of the scarf is just wonderful and of course Jenn is a terrific model.

Posted by Laurie on January 14, 2008 6:35 AM

JPH: Hahahahahhahahaha I love it.

Posted by Kathleen on January 14, 2008 7:13 AM

Awesome detail - that her eyes follow the billowing scarf makes this work for me!

Posted by Betsy Barron on January 14, 2008 8:14 AM

Hi Kathleen,

Beautiful once again. How do you get your colors so accurately? Just curious. Gray card?

-Sherman

Posted by Sherman on January 14, 2008 9:36 AM

wonderful composition

Posted by geerth on January 14, 2008 10:06 AM

Nice Placement of the subject. You pushed the subject to the one end and makes her turn her eyes towards the scarf. If she was looking ahead, this photo would not be as good as it is now, as there is nothing for her to see from the edge of the photograph.

Posted by Balaji on January 14, 2008 2:54 PM

Great pose of face and scarf. (rhymes with barf--I best leave the poems chores to JPH this time! Perhaps a contest on some chosen image latter.)

Jenn and scarf with soft landscape all combine to produce an exotic picture. With the exception of the jacket the image appears to be a duo tone or sepia. Poster material here. (And once again, Jenn appears to be breezing along in a field by herself.)

A wonderful example of truly elegant results from a simple concept--let the wind blow and shoot the billowing silk. Of course Kathleen does the rest and the composition just proves the point!

Thanks to all the participating elements.

Posted by david tinnon on January 14, 2008 3:14 PM

hi
you have reat photoblog
nice shot
if she look at sky must better !!!
best regard
moshen moridi

Posted by Karenjak on January 14, 2008 5:16 PM

i like how the scarfthing matches up real well with the background. the blue sweater is cool too, it gives a cool pop. great, as always.

-tx nick

p.s. i was up there just recently! my dad moved to jersey.

Posted by nick on January 15, 2008 12:53 AM

brother, your photo is so expression, beautiful, I look at your photoblog everyday and wonder there is a beautiful country like where you live.

best wishes,

Posted by Kikr on January 15, 2008 5:39 AM

wonderful photo! beautiful face and expressions...

Posted by Marek.Kulikowski on January 15, 2008 8:51 AM

Sherman: I wonder if you're talking about color temperature (white balance) or overall color?

I don't use a gray card.

Although I shoot in manual mode, the white-balance (color temp) is set to auto. The 5D is fairly accurate, but if I need to adjust white balance I do that with the RAW processor.

Determining overall color seems to be a very subjective process when working with RAW files. No matter how well-calibrated the monitor is for "color accuracy," the final product is the result of equipment, opinion, experience and maybe even some luck. :)

Posted by Kathleen on January 15, 2008 6:19 PM

Sherman/Kathleen, If you insert a control strip/gray card into a warm afternoon sunlight shot like this one, how are you then using the card values? If this were a product shot and the color of the jacket, scarf, hair color and/or lip gloss had to match the merchandise, the known value of the card could help to measure the color cast in rgb or cmyk numbers? Would you want to remove the warm cast or just use the card numbers as a relative management tool? ......and would Jenn hold the card, or....You need a key grip or somebody?.....I could work for food........plus millage?.......hello?.....

Posted by david tinnon on January 15, 2008 9:37 PM

david: If this were a product shot, I'd leave all of those decisions to my assistants and the retouchers. :) My job is to capture feeling! Ahem!

I probably wouldn't need a grip in this situation but if we try to re-enact it in a studio setting one day, you're my man!

Posted by Kathleen on January 16, 2008 6:40 AM

Very good shot. Your shots of Jenn are always very expressive. When can we expect a coffee table book to come out?

Posted by Josh on January 16, 2008 9:05 AM

Kathleen,

Thanks for the response. And yes I meant a white balance card for white balance color accuracy not a gray card for exposure. The 5D is pretty good in that respect. I am starting to use the white balance card a little more - in certain situations I could see a large difference. Equipment - yes the L lens do have a "thing" about them don't they :)

@David - I think in terms of matching colors of clothing, hair, etc that would all be determined by the artistic director/stylist for the shoot. For every lighting situation you can have a stand-in hold a color calibration card to get your colors right.

Posted by Sherman on January 16, 2008 9:46 AM

Josh: I don't think there's much demand for a coffee table book of my stuff, but you're sweet to suggest it. If by some miracle there was an interest, I simply don't know anything about making books.

I imagine it as time-consuming, costly and difficult in terms of producing a high-quality product. Plus the result doesn't seem too eco-friendly (paper, inks, etc.) or profitable when you consider marketing expenses.

Also I find it sad to see books of photography catching dust, or worse yet, in a bargain bin! So... unless someone wants to convince me otherwise on all of this stuff, it won't happen. But thanks for being so nice. :)

Posted by Kathleen on January 16, 2008 10:51 AM

Although we may remember many things as we move through this world, we must not get caught up in the history of our life. So, be careful my young Isadora Duncan and keep your eyes facing forward even as you cherish the memories of your past.

Posted by Willow on January 17, 2008 5:17 PM

Kathleen, I find it hard to believe your "I simply don't know anything about making books" remark. Really? Now when it comes to selecting which of the images from this blog NOT to include in the book.......well I have no idea how that could be done!

Posted by David Tinnon on January 20, 2008 4:22 AM

I've never a comment but only visit your photoblog for your gorgeous photos. I had to make a comment on this:

"I don't think there's much demand for a coffee table book of my stuff..."

I disagree as I for one would buy a book of your photos... and if I, being a silent admirer, would... how many others are like me? :)

Posted by Christine from MI on January 20, 2008 6:21 PM

I love her expression - she looks like she's really keeping an eye on her crafty scarf that's trying to catch a lift on the wind to freedom.

Posted by littleMatt on January 23, 2008 4:56 AM

You've created a narrative - I love how she's looking at the scarf.

Posted by Andrew on January 30, 2008 2:35 PM