White

I took this photo in February 2007 when we had a bit of snow on the ground. The winter of 2008 has been mild and uneventful so far. I realize I'm in the minority, but I'm hoping for one good blizzard before spring begins -- and I'm in luck because yesterday (Groundhog's Day), Punxsutawney Phil said we've got six more weeks of winter!

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L lens at 30mm, ISO 200, f/11, shutter 1/125s. Slight perspective correction and crop, curves adjustments, color balancing.

Comments

Wow. The power in your compositions is always stunning. I love the feel of your photos. They're not over-processed, they still feel real, and yet they're nearly always visually perfect. You do amazing work.

Posted by Jarrard on February 3, 2008 12:39 AM

This static landscape with dramatic sky reminds me of some of Eric Sloane's American farm scenes. Not the first time your work has sent me looking for a book on Sloane (or Wyeth.)

I don't know which is more impressive, your eye for graphic drama or your knack for titles.......(nice that I don't have to choose).....so perhaps you can help me with some untitled paintings cause a very highly regarded artist is waiting for titles in order for her to critique the pieces.......?

Funny you mention "blizzard". The wind is howling outside right now and incredibly sculpted drifts are up to 4ft around the studio, shop, shrubs, cars, whatever is in it's path. This is already the biggest snow storm I have ever experienced and I can't wait to get up tomorrow and start shooting the amazing shapes that are growing in the night.

I'll trade you my blizzard for some titles. K?

Posted by David Tinnon on February 3, 2008 2:40 AM

I love the simplicity and the roughness of this photo. And Polish as I am, I have to say: it's so European! (At Eastern/Central Europe's best.)

Posted by Marta on February 3, 2008 6:51 AM

A true winter sky. Everything is so plumb. I like last February's tilted pole shot better. Do you remember if they were taken the same day?

Posted by JPH on February 3, 2008 8:33 AM

Kathleen,

This is gorgeous and haunting. As always, you're an inspiration to me.

Thanks very much, by the way, for the link to my site.

Bob

Posted by Bob on February 3, 2008 10:43 AM

Nice composition and colouring in this Kathleen

Posted by Craig Wilson on February 3, 2008 4:45 PM

Beautiful, as always. I, as you, are hoping for one good blizzard before spring (though my back can't take the shoveling). What is the reason for not including the entire structure in the composition? Increase visual interest?

Posted by Russ on February 3, 2008 10:55 PM

David Tinnon: Deal! :)

JPH: I'm blown away by your memory - or is it intuition? They were taken on the very same day. (I still have one more from that day that I'll post next.)

Russ: The reason not to include the entire structure is so that you'll ask me (or yourself) that question!

I just read a NY Times interview with one of my favorite American artists, Jasper Johns, who said, "Self-description is a calamity."

Enough said! :)

Posted by Kathleen on February 4, 2008 9:38 AM

What a pretty composition. The white and blue are beautiful.

I would like to see some snow, maybe not a blizzard...but some would be nice!

Posted by Laurie on February 5, 2008 6:38 PM

you are correct, this winter has been a bit of a letdown in terms of snow and thus gorgeous landscapes painted white

Posted by btezra on February 22, 2008 11:11 AM