Tired Handler and Longhaired Dachshund, Westminster Kennel Club Show

I was at the Westminster Kennel Club Show at Madison Square Garden in New York City on Monday, and I'll be back on Tuesday to watch the Best in Show competition. It may be "off topic" for this photoblog but what the heck.

I attend every year and become more fascinated (for a variety of reasons) each time I'm there. My next few posts will probably be from the show, so sit back and enjoy the dogs for a few days. :)

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens at 24mm, ISO 3200, f/3.2, 1/125s. Basic curves adjustment.

Thanks for visiting Durham Township!

COME TO A NEW SHOW OF MY WORK AT THE PALISADES GALLERY

February 20 - April 2, 2008

Opening reception Wednesday, February 20th from 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.

MORE DETAILS HERE!

Comments

My mother will love this shot Kathleen. My Dad and she owned a miniature longhaired dachshund after the kids "flew the coop." Great capture of the exhaustion both woman and dog clearly felt.

Posted by Bob on February 12, 2008 12:22 AM

I really love the hand on the left hand side of this image, it adds both a sense of depth and bit of narrative in my opinion.

Posted by Justin Gaynor on February 12, 2008 12:29 AM

How fun that you got to shoot Westminster! Did you have to get any sort of special permission to go backstage? I love watching the show on TV, but this kind of behind-the-scenes view is rare. Nice moment.

Cute little puppy, too, but all I can see when I look at long-haired dogs like this is dog hair covering my couch.

Posted by MarkDM on February 12, 2008 1:30 AM

Ever see the movie "Best in Show?" :)

Posted by Peter F on February 12, 2008 2:36 AM

This is not a pointless shot! Most of the coverage shown of this event is the perfectly primped and poised picture. You capture some of the rest of the story.

Posted by JPH on February 12, 2008 6:46 AM

Your photo exemplifies the degree of trust that can develop between humans and dogs. Do you have a dog? Your photo of the dog in a sweater waiting for his/her owner (and this photo) implies a sensitivity to their condition that a causual observer would not have. Photos are not about grain or pixel peeping (Don't pay any attention to remarks about noise that surfaced in your shots of geese.); they are about communicating. You have done that here. Keep on....

Posted by Dennis on February 12, 2008 6:57 AM

Cute dog and nice photo.

Posted by Anita Bower on February 12, 2008 7:10 AM

Very relaxing moment, paws on pause.....a low noise shot.

You are Best of Show, thanks.

Posted by david tinnon on February 12, 2008 12:19 PM

As a dog owner I can completely relate to this photo. It's a great view and angle, very endearing.

Posted by Christina on February 12, 2008 8:55 PM

Go Doxie

Posted by Robin on February 12, 2008 9:52 PM

Love the dog shot, Kathleen. I'm going to try to do the Detroit show this year. A bit different than my usual, too, but it's such fun.

Posted by Mark Scheuern on February 13, 2008 10:32 AM

Beautiful!!

Posted by MarĂ­lia on February 13, 2008 11:12 AM

Cute dog. Did you get a picture of Uno the Beagle?

Posted by RD on February 13, 2008 2:15 PM

BAU!

Posted by imagina on February 13, 2008 2:22 PM

look at picture number 6 and you'll be surprised!

Posted by uber on February 13, 2008 3:18 PM

MarkDM: Anyone can go into the benching area during the Westminster Kennel Club show which is part of what makes it a unique experience.

Peter F: Christopher Guest is my idol of idols.

Dennis: I have a deep and boundless affection for dogs. I've had them or been around them my whole life. I lost my beloved 10-year old Newfoundland dog this past November and I doubt I'll ever get over the loss. He was the dearest soul I've ever had the privelege to know.

As for pixels, noise, etc. vs. communication: I think successful photographers are both technically and artistically competent and I really enjoy striving for both.

RD: I didn't get any shots of Uno the Beagle but they're pretty easy to find now. :) (It was an amazing moment watching and hearing him win Best in Show.)

uber: Wow! That's funny!

Posted by Kathleen on February 13, 2008 9:48 PM

nice angle ... very cute shot

Posted by crash on February 13, 2008 11:00 PM

I.m so glad you covered the show again this year. I just love this side of the show and seeing it through your eyes.

That's such cute moment!

My parents had several Beagles and Bassets over the years as well as a Schnauzer, Standard Poodle, and just plain old hound-dog mutts.

Oh yeah I almost forgot...

Awww...Woof! So cute.

Posted by Laurie on February 15, 2008 8:33 AM

You were at the dog show? I was just checking into the Hotel Pennsylvania while that was going on! This is such a wonderful shot, too.

Posted by Eric Hart on February 20, 2008 10:10 PM