Blue Ridge Mountains, 7:30 p.m.

Thanks for all the concern regarding my absence... guess I should've left a note, huh? :)

I've been traveling through the southern U.S. for the last six days. I'll post a few shots from my journey - this is the first.

Happy Spring!

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens at 200mm, ISO 400, f/18, shutter 1/200s. Curves adjustments, color balancing.

Comments

Fantastic composition and lighting. Well done!

Posted by Arnd on March 27, 2008 5:24 AM

Welcome back. The mountains are true to their name. Love the contrast between sky above and earth below.

Posted by JPH on March 27, 2008 6:01 AM

It's okay, as long as you come back with beautiful images like this. Look at those layers! And those puffy white clouds sitting so innocently right on top of the ominous ones. Lovely. Have fun on your travels!

Posted by RD on March 27, 2008 6:46 AM

I am among the many Websters who are greatly relieved to learn that you were simply on a southern safari and probably shot up another storm.....or at least shot some less agitatedly skies with a little earth along the lower edge just for scale.

Can't wait to see the results, I assume you shot the limit.

Place this one in the Durham Webster's Dictionary next to "meditation, a state of mind." It's s welcome mood-smoother to compensate for all the anxiety over your "unexcused absence!" (Really, woman!)

Posted by David Tinnon on March 27, 2008 10:40 AM

Beautiful sky, I love the tones.

Posted by m a r t a on March 27, 2008 10:40 AM

I used to live in Virginia many years ago and hiked frequently in the Blue Ridge. I'm curious as to where along the Blue Ridge this was shot (Virginia or North Carolina?). This is a beautiful image and is exactly how I remember those mountains. I can't wait to see more images from your trip. Welcome back.

Posted by Russ on March 27, 2008 11:27 AM

Russ: That's Bedford County, Virginia. I was enroute from North Carolina to West Virginia when I took this photograph.

Posted by Kathleen on March 27, 2008 2:13 PM

I love how the color of the clouds picks up the colors of the mountains. Just lovely! As much as I love rural southeastern PA, I miss living near or in the mountains.

Posted by Anita Bower on March 27, 2008 3:35 PM

I've been following your photoblog via google reader for a couple of months now. Great stuff. This shot is a delightfully serene bit of eye candy. Thanks for sharing!

"
Upon the Blue Ridge Mountains
There I'll take my stand.
"

Posted by Bill Scherer on March 27, 2008 11:34 PM

Very nice photo.

Posted by Marek.Kulikowski on March 28, 2008 1:52 AM

What a beautiful sky ! Love how you captured it!

Posted by Alejandra on March 28, 2008 5:12 AM

Super.............

Posted by PassionNature78 on March 28, 2008 7:26 AM

Absolutely gorgeous sky and mountains. PP is great as well! Well worth your trip - hope you have many more

Posted by Anne on March 28, 2008 8:50 PM

om namah shivaya!

i was recently intimate with these mountains that you share. you have once again captured the essence.

sublime!

Posted by Caftan on March 28, 2008 11:08 PM

Beautiful! The layers are just incredible. I can't wait to see more.

Welcome back. I passed through the Blue Ridge Mountains last March on my way to and from Georgia but I didn't have time to stop and take photos unfortunately. It is so beautiful there.

Posted by Laurie on March 28, 2008 11:32 PM

Stunning. Love the colors.

Posted by Otto K. on March 31, 2008 6:41 PM