Jakey in the Shop on a Rainy Morning

This photograph was taken on Thursday morning. Jakey was indoors repairing some of the farm equipment because the fields were too wet to plant corn.

Check out the larger version for more detail.

This shot goes out to regular commenters "Kayt" and "Gypsy" : Kayt wanted to see more photos of indoor farm scenes, and Gypsy wanted to see more photos of Jakey. (I feel like a DJ.)

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens at 24mm, ISO 1600, f/4.5, 1/80s. Curves adjustments, color balancing, slight perspective correction, no noise reduction. Tricky lighting + a subject that doesn't stay still keeps me on my toes! I'd like to photograph the shop (which I call "The Farm Museum") with a tripod when the evening summer sun is coming in the door.

Thanks for visiting Durham Township!

Comments

Wonderfully complex composition.

Posted by Justin Gaynor on May 9, 2008 1:29 AM

Wow! Thanks, Kathleen, for reference above- I do love to see what's happening both outside and inside your community- you do a superb job with both! :)

I love this! There is so much texture/color/intrigue/pattern with tool wall. It's immediately grasping/inviting. Jakey's expression is priceless, almost like he's thinking about anything/everything other than "work' related to tools. Cute! Such an entertaining contrast between human and interior environment. :)

Posted by kayt on May 9, 2008 2:50 AM

Waoo ! This shop looks like an organized mess ;D

Posted by jb on May 9, 2008 6:07 AM

Peeking out from among the tools on the wall
Is Miss Dairy Queen(??)and the tractor Farmall.
Surrounded by a collection that seemingly has no end
Who knows what you might need when there is something to mend.
So Jakey sits thinking upon his workbench throne,
Might my next job be wrenching or cutter blades to hone?

Posted by JPH on May 9, 2008 7:18 AM

Great shot! I love an organized mess. My garage and workbench look very similar.

Posted by TJS on May 9, 2008 8:32 AM

And I'll bet Jakey knows EXACTLY where everything is. Wow! He's got quite an angelic look on his face.

Posted by RD on May 9, 2008 9:11 AM

Unfortunately Jakey has his eyes set on another lady, her photo is top left in the workshop! Love this shot, one of my favourite indoor farm shots from you Kathleen. So much detail and texture - and that trademark natural lighting and feel to it as well.

Posted by Craig Wilson on May 9, 2008 12:03 PM

A state of mind....with matching shoes. Great poster (guys would buy it for the tool content--girls would buy it for the Jakey content).....and there is no more likely place to see a state of mind so perfectly done, thank you.

Posted by David Tinnon on May 9, 2008 12:54 PM

You've been off your game for a while, but now you're back!

Posted by Bobby on May 9, 2008 7:43 PM

Great image - wonderful processing, the image is well exposed and full of beautiful detail

Posted by LwS on May 10, 2008 4:08 AM

Very nice, It is your best photo last year ;) I like it.

Posted by markku on May 10, 2008 2:20 PM

kinda looks like my kid's room!

Very nice shot. I see he has got the required pin-up calander. Wouldn't be a maintenence shop without it.

Posted by mark on May 10, 2008 4:25 PM

His earthly frame is benched in suspension,
while his capped brain ponders some other dimension,
were jobs are plenty and easy to find,
and the tools of the trade are all in his mind.

But soon comes the sun,
and soon drys the ground,
and soon on the bench,
his butt won't be found.

Anonymous.

Posted by david tinnon on May 11, 2008 1:19 PM

Super shot Kathleen. Now that is what I call a farm workshop. This is just how I remember my grandfathers farm workshop, other than the young guy in a white t-shirt anyway. 8-)

Posted by Tom Brandt on May 11, 2008 6:51 PM

It almost looks like he's trying to remember where he left something. Of course he probably does know where everything is and I'm just projecting my thoughts from looking at the organized chaos there. Excellent work with this one and of course you handled the light with finesse.

Posted by Laurie on May 13, 2008 6:36 AM

Your photos of Jakey and the farm are some of my favorites. You are documenting a way of life that is vanishing, but that is so important here in Pennsylvania. And, you do it so beautifully. Many, many thanks!

Posted by Anita Bower on May 14, 2008 8:09 AM

JPH and David Tinnon: Someday, when there is a payroll, I'm putting you two on it. :)

Posted by Kathleen on May 18, 2008 10:39 AM

A guy checking out his callouses...
another masterpiece
Thanks again for sharing your art with us
Regards
Bob

Posted by Bob on May 18, 2008 7:05 PM

Norman Rockwell would have liked this photo. You've captured so much more than Jakey and the shop. Fabulous work, Kathleen.

Posted by Photo Buffet on May 19, 2008 1:09 PM