Dietrich's Meats

Dietrich's Meats is in Krumsville, Berks County, Pennsylvania, about 30 miles from Durham Township. It's right off Route 78 (a major road between Newark, NJ and Harrisburg, PA) -- you can't miss the giant billboards if you drive out that way.

Dietrich's sells Pennsylvania German style meats (as you can see from the photos) and other things like handmade hard pretzels, dark potato chips, white birch beer, local honey and all sorts of jarred fruits, vegetables and jams. Too much to list!

The folks who work at the store are especially nice -- they recently made a delivery to a customer stuck in traffic on Route 78! The customer called the store from her cell phone and said she was planning to stop at Dietrich's en route from Ohio to Connecticut, but couldn't get there before closing time due to the backup. So Dietrich's took the customer's order by phone, packed it up, drove the backroads and met her at one of the freeway exits!

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens. 1) 60mm, ISO 200, f/8, 1/125s. Curves, color balancing, cropped from vertical. 2) 24mm, ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/250s. Curves, color balancing. 3) 24mm, ISO 1600, f/2.8, 1/100s. 4) 24mm, ISO 1600, f/5, 1/60s.

(In the second photo, some smartypants erased a few letters on the white board, otherwise the sign would've read "Grilling Time is Here!")

Thanks for visiting Durham Township!

Comments

I can go steak, a burger, the dark chips or the white beer, and I'd like to try the Heisler's ice cream.......but I'm drawing a line in the sand at smoking pig's toes and trachea....at that point, the horn of plenty is definitely blowin' someone else's tune.

Even with that thought fresh in my mind, I'm thinking with the publication of this four-part documentary on culinary diversity in America, we may as well give up on any remaining dreams of securing the nation's borders.....just set another place at the table and warm up the oysters!

(Vicki, my wife, makes a great wheat grass juice drink...I could use one now.)

Posted by david tinnon on May 13, 2008 1:38 AM

I think I know this place. The colors are perfect here and my favorite shot is the shelves with all the jars.

Posted by Laurie on May 13, 2008 6:41 AM

Available are snouts, ears and feet
And other "delicious" things to eat.
So if ever I'm nearby,
A stop at Dietrich's I'll try
And shop elsewhere for all my Kosher meat.

So what's the meaning of the GLM brand on the cow?

Posted by JPH on May 13, 2008 7:23 AM

smile on this pig's face looks hauntingly like smile on the face of one of my favorite photos or yours- the pig smiling in the mud puddle- could it be one and same? ;))both great shots!

Posted by on May 13, 2008 7:43 PM

Posted by kayt on May 13, 2008 7:43 PM

I can't read all the labels, but I'm guessing the 250+ containers and packages found in chapter four are the sauces and seasonings I would require in order to enjoy the half dozen items featured in chapter three. I'm oddly curious to know how much barbecue sauce is needed to successfully get a pork trachea down a human esophagus. (being careful not to confuse the two!)........so I have to ask, have you tried the trachea? .....with red wine or white beer and, of course, dark chips?

Posted by david tinnon on May 14, 2008 2:36 AM

Now thats customer service! Excellent series of images, the lighting and detail is perfect Kathleen.

Posted by Craig Wilson on May 14, 2008 5:08 AM

it s very nice

Posted by r.baloochi on May 14, 2008 6:51 AM

david tinnon, set your mind at ease.....

Eating smoked trachea is not a human feat.
Chapter two sign says it is a doggie treat.

Posted by JPH on May 14, 2008 8:14 AM

So, Jon, you're saying you never tried the trachea....ever? Guess I should not have skipped over the small green text in chapter two.

So the dogs go for the throat and people go for the "oysters?" Mondo Cane! (This belongs in the '62 Italian documentary of the same name!)

Posted by David Tinnon on May 14, 2008 8:30 PM

What are chukars?

Posted by cohnsey on August 5, 2008 2:22 AM

You enjoy your meal now. Hear?

Posted by sharon on September 25, 2008 8:56 PM