Durham Valley Farm

This photograph was taken on Thursday evening.

Durham Valley Farm, which raises champion Hereford cattle, is directly across the road from the Durham Athletic Association baseball field. One of the cheers you frequently hear Little League players chanting to their batting teammates is "Hit a Cow!"

Visiting teams and their fans often comment that they enjoy the view from the bleachers.

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens at 24mm, ISO 400, f/18, 1/320s. Curves adjustments, color balancing.

Thanks for visiting Durham Township!

Comments

There's that signature Connally sky. Love it!

Posted by Russ on May 17, 2008 1:18 AM

It is as if they were made to lie down in green pastures were lead(th) beside the still waters.....Holy Cow!

Posted by david tinnon on May 17, 2008 1:48 AM

What a sky and light!

Posted by Tero on May 17, 2008 4:56 AM

Beautiful scene! That sky is so dramatic and spectacular :)

Posted by susan on May 17, 2008 9:26 PM

Well, damn, you went and did again. Paul Caponigro should do cows so well. Bravo.

P'taker

Posted by Frank on May 18, 2008 9:52 AM

Hi Kathleen! my first comment on your blog....This picture reminds me Eugene's Boudin paintings in Normandy! take care! I love it!

Posted by Pauline on May 18, 2008 11:08 AM

Kathleen--This reminds me of the "happy cows make good cheese" commercial, but I'm guessing they are not dairy cows. What are Herefords?
David-- great quote. I do think this comes pretty close to what the Psalms meant!

Posted by glaucia on May 18, 2008 8:54 PM

Kathleen, I love your wide-angle photos. You can make cows look like art!

Posted by Photo Buffet on May 19, 2008 1:06 PM

From Hereford High School long ago I did graduate
Where a bull was our mascot, I'm proud to state.
So peaceful scenes like this remind me of my youth
Where seeing that cows got water and pasture was never uncouth.
But these cows are raised then probably sold at market rate
To be turned in a few months to ground beef and juicy steak.

Posted by JPH on May 19, 2008 3:09 PM

Does the sky show the light of salvation pushing back the darkness or does it show the shadow of death creeping in among them? They sit in that field, as they have since being brought into this country in 1817, quietly eating and drinking without a care in the world, oblivious to the design of their birth. Herefords they are and bred for beef production.

Are they so different than people in our society? So many years herded together. Too lazy or bored to think for themselves; oblivious to the design of their birth. Humans they are and bred for obedience.

The easy way is the only way. Lulled to sleep by false promises, gladly accepting what is given to them, whether they earned it or not. Independent thinking is discouraged; no need to ask questions, someone will feed them, clothe them and tell them everything they need to know. Don't they realize that the instructions for both groups will ultimately be the same?

"Line up and walk this way, we are going to take you to a better place".

"Arbeit Macht Frei"

Posted by Willow on May 19, 2008 9:52 PM

I love the light filtering in through the clouds. The rural scene with that light reminds me of John Constable's paintings - it's excellent work!

Posted by suvir on May 20, 2008 3:37 PM

Breathtaking...I am in awe!

Posted by Laurie on May 21, 2008 8:54 AM