Rainy Sunday at the Pond

This photo was taken on Sunday.

I love working with this lens wide open. Focusing on a very narrow area from a distance can be tricky but it's a challenge I can sink my teeth into. :) I'm saving my pennies for the Canon 50mm f/1.2L for a wider "human eye" perspective.

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon 85mm f/1.2L lens at f/1.2, 1/1250s, ISO 400. Curves adjustments and color balancing.

Comments

Iconic. I love your photographs.

Posted by Jarrard on May 20, 2008 12:59 AM

I think you succeed well! Composition, tones and the reflection are just great.

Posted by Tero on May 20, 2008 1:28 AM

Nice reflection and shallow dof. I also like the calm mood the image has.

Posted by yz on May 20, 2008 3:33 AM

The pond turns to glass, time stops, you discover the meaning of "laid back." ........A white rabbit hurries past.........he's late.......you're not.

Thanks, Alice

Posted by david tinnon on May 20, 2008 3:39 AM

Awesome :) What a lovely place.

Posted by Which Main? What Cross? on May 20, 2008 3:41 AM

Awesome photograph! I love the colors and the DOF!

Posted by Matthijs on May 20, 2008 4:54 AM

This is absolutely stunning - Love the colour & reflection.

Posted by Ian on May 20, 2008 5:12 AM

As I look at this photographic confection
I think..... "this is close to perfection."
It has a tree on which he leans
Surrounded by woods resplendent in greens
And a pond with mirrorlike reflection.

Posted by JPH on May 20, 2008 6:35 AM

You've done it again Kathleen! Composition is spot on as well as the lighting and the colours! Love the combination of bright yellow wellies, blue jeans, green jacket and a cowboy hat... John Wayne would have been proud :)

Posted by Craig Wilson on May 20, 2008 7:21 AM

Beautiful green...

Posted by on May 20, 2008 8:33 AM

Nice cheesy limerick JPH.... Anyway, Kathleen, I'd hang this one on my wall.

Posted by miklos on May 20, 2008 8:44 AM

Stunning - a perfect application of D.O.F. and superbly composed. You've mastered the art of knowing and working with perfect light.

Posted by PhotoJim on May 20, 2008 9:04 AM

Awesome, Love the composition, colours and depth. The yellow boots make it. Its a classic.

Posted by Mark on May 20, 2008 9:19 AM

Excellent shot !!!!!. Nice use the reflections as frame to this picture and contrast colors.
-Balaji

Posted by Balaji on May 20, 2008 10:09 AM

Often times your photos take my breath away, and this is one of them! Just gorgeous. I especially like the little punch of color provided the boots and jeans.

Posted by Laurie on May 20, 2008 12:41 PM

I would love this prime and a 50mm f/1.2L would be nice too! I have the 35mm f/1.2L. Nice shot!

Posted by Kurt on May 20, 2008 1:38 PM

Oops! 35mm f/1.4L. I was trying to go from memory. A real nice lens BTW.

Posted by Kurt on May 20, 2008 1:59 PM

Great pics. Ill add you in my blogroll

Posted by fiqro on May 20, 2008 2:09 PM

Such lush greens! The composition is very good and I agree: the lens wide open gives the scene a nice soft feel.

Posted by suvir on May 20, 2008 3:40 PM

pretty cool reflection

Posted by Stephen on May 20, 2008 8:21 PM

Love the greens! Oh heck, I like the whole picture!

Posted by Bob on May 20, 2008 8:23 PM

Fantastic! Gotta love those boots!

Posted by RD on May 20, 2008 9:02 PM

This has "spring is a new beginning" written all over it. Great color! Love it! :)

Posted by on May 20, 2008 11:06 PM

This is absolutely stunning, Kathleen. It belongs in a gallery. Print it, frame it, hang it.

After completing some business in nearby Bethlehem today, I took the opportunity to drive back home after first taking a short detour through Durham Township. Even though it was pouring rain, I could see that it is indeed as beautiful there as you show us here. I even felt a little deja vu as I meandered through and admired the landscape. Your photography definitely does it justice. I left feeling very inspired.

Posted by Russ on May 21, 2008 12:46 AM

Great photo. The theme of green is a wonderful visual to go along with a clean image and smooth reflection. Oh and I'll forever be envious when you finally do get that 50mm F/1.2 =p

Posted by James D on May 21, 2008 2:43 AM

Utter perfection!

I've been away a while...lots to catch up with here. I can't wait to go back and see what I've missed!

PS...Rob is home! Well, in Georgia at least and I was there when he stepped off the plane.

Posted by Laurie on May 21, 2008 8:51 AM

Not to repeat what everyone else has said, but the colors are truly spectacular here, Kathleen, and wow, what a paper-thin depth of field! That must be difficult indeed to work with, but as always you've done a wonderful job of it.

Posted by Judith Polakoff on May 21, 2008 9:31 AM

Love this photo, it just makes me smile :) Awesome!

Posted by Noreen on May 21, 2008 5:12 PM

Great image here - lovely peace and serenity and great colour of his boots. My only reserve is is that his pose looks a little unnatural, but otherwise great!

Posted by LwS on May 22, 2008 3:54 AM

The picture does not look right. The reflection in the water is sharp while the shore at the same DOF is out of focus.

Look where the shore intersects the edge of the picture. It is out of focus. Now look at the reflection of the tree above the head of the boy - sharp. Lens don't work that way. Looks like a little more post processing than just curves and color. It's a beautiful piece of art but it is not a photograph.

Posted by Kurt on May 22, 2008 3:26 PM

Kurt: Thanks for the comment!

It took less than two minutes to open and process the RAW file for this image. It's only curves and a little color balance, nothing else.

I was working with this lens wide open at f/1.2 and I still don't understand the science of using it at a distance yet. The focal range is extremely narrow and it does odd things sometimes. Can't really explain it but I love the ethereal qualities.

I'd recommend renting one just to play around with.

Posted by Kathleen on May 22, 2008 4:08 PM

OK, I take your word for it. It is an interesting problem. I need to figure this out from a physics perspective. Where does the lens focus with respect to an image on the water? The image on the water is clearly out of the area of focus, but does the lens focus beyond that. That will take a some time to figure out.

I like the shot a lot. Very nice. As always - well composed, well shot. I look at your blog every day. Your photos are great, keep it up.

Posted by Kurt on May 22, 2008 4:21 PM

Kurt... The only way the reflection would be in the "same DOF" as the real image is if the camera was sitting directly on top of the water. Since it is not, and it is a couple of feet higher, you see it differently. The reflection of the top of the boy's head is actually a few feet back than the shoreline that intersects the left side of the image. So it cannot be in the "same DOF" even if you think it appears that way on this image. (Damn that third dimension!) At least that's my two cents, I'm no physicist though so I'm probably way off.

Posted by miklos on May 22, 2008 9:22 PM

In certain religions, it is believed that to take someone's picture is to steal their soul. Thankfully, there are many willing subjects in this world. The problem is that most of them are not satisfied with taking their picture as they naturally appear. Instead, they want to get ready for the picture; "to pose", to create the perfect moment. Creating the perfect moment is creating a false sense of who and what you are by creating who and what you want to be.

If "a picture speaks a thousand words" may they all be spoken from your soul.

Posted by Willow on May 23, 2008 9:17 AM

brilliant!

Posted by Heather on May 27, 2008 7:44 PM

Phew! Great shot. This is just a perfect example to how to isolate the subject yet giving greater importance to the background. The kid with blue jean, yellow boot and green top with reflected green background is just too good to blink my eyes. If the kid were a blonde you could have eliminated the hat off his head. Neverthless, what a great combination of gloomy yet bright environment.

Awesome!

Posted by Tintinban on May 28, 2008 4:09 PM

wow.. that looks like a picture out a classic novel.
truly awesome!!

Posted by RK on June 9, 2008 9:21 PM

Ahhhh! So perfect--as ever. I am grateful you are around to remind us how beautiful the world can be.

Posted by Grosse Pointer on July 4, 2008 10:37 PM

Hi!

Amazing sharpness and colors, perfect reflection - cool boots ! : )

Posted by Mads Eneqvist on July 7, 2008 6:26 AM

beautiful

Posted by luke on July 12, 2008 9:52 AM

I know what you mean wrt the 85 f1.2, excellent piece of kit.
Excellent photo, btw. Love those yellow boots :)

Posted by pierre on July 16, 2008 5:12 AM

wow! another fantastic image...

Posted by golda on July 22, 2008 6:23 PM

Amazing atmosphere created via choice of DOF and composition. Chapeau :-)

Posted by Bram de Mooij on August 8, 2008 4:16 PM

I´m not so god to make comments.. I mean, god comments. I just admire you're work. Is amazing.

You have my vote in CoolPhotobloggers

Posted by el_extranjero (the stranger) on October 1, 2008 4:14 PM

Wow, this is just stunning. All your work is beautiful and inspring.

Posted by Amber on January 20, 2009 9:15 AM