Jenn, Breaktime, Stoneybrook Farm

This photo was taken on Thursday. Jenn's home from college for the summer and hard at work already. :)

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon 85mm f/1.2L lens at f/1.8, 1/125s, ISO 1000. Curves adjustments and color balancing.

Comments

She's a gorgeous young lady and this is a superb portrait, Kathleen. Beautifully lit with wonderful soft light. I see she is well armed to fend off all the guys! Better keep your distance from that pitch fork, fellas.

Posted by Russ on May 23, 2008 1:30 AM

A very nice moment captured here. (A fork in the barn is worth two in the road?) I seem to recall Jenn's having gone down hill lately, so it is not entirely surprising to see she's out on bail and apparently gitting a grip. (Can't wait to read the limerick that goes with this shot.)

Thanks, Kathleen. Even if oil hits $200 a barrel, I can afford this trip.

Posted by david tinnon on May 23, 2008 2:06 AM

The most interesting part of this photo for me is just seeing a girl this pretty in such a hard work environment. I love it for that reason, especially knowing that she's back from college and gets right to work =)

Posted by James Dunn on May 23, 2008 2:10 AM

A relaxed moment. Beautiful environmental portrait that is also enhanced by the shallow dof. This is exactly how it has to be done, great work!

Posted by yz on May 23, 2008 3:25 AM

With her brains she may be a college student
But this looks more like a farmers wife's rudiment.
Upon bale she does sit
Her face lacking much wit
But hard work gives muscles much improvement.

Posted by JPH on May 23, 2008 5:53 AM

I really like the picture. but there are a few things which kinda seem strange (but knowing that she is attending college, explains them), the amazingly clean sweater and the clean and well-groomed hand/fingers. Nevertheless, she seems to have a really strong/powerful grip of the fork.
Would love to see a girl like her around here ;)

Posted by Max on May 23, 2008 9:22 AM

I've never commented before, but just wanted to say that your photographs make me want to move to Durham Township, Pennsylvania They're all gorgeous

Posted by on May 23, 2008 8:38 PM

What a beautiful moment ...

Posted by Wolfgang Burzler on May 24, 2008 12:24 PM

Nice portrait, love the colours and lighting - after all those Jakey shots something finally something of beauty :)

Will you be upgrading to the 5D MK2 when it gets here Kathleen?

Posted by Craig Wilson on May 26, 2008 5:01 AM

Every once in a while I see a picture of a beautiful woman that just truly tickles a part of my brain that nothing else can touch. It is *not* a sexual portion of my brain, but a portion that truly appreciates the female form as a form of beauty. This portrait (and others of this young woman) tickle that portion of my brain to various degrees. Again, it's not sexual, it's just pure awe. The photographer's skill, the setting, the expression on her face, how her hair is laying - awesome indeed.

Some lucky few are blessed with an appearance that surpasses anything an artist could conceive on their own. Only a picture can capture the inspirational beauty these people have, and even that can only happen in the hands of a talented photographer. You are both gifted.

Posted by jeremiah on May 27, 2008 11:55 AM

She is always lovely even when she looks like she's in need of a well deserved break. This is a beautiful natural moment. Well done!

Posted by Laurie on May 31, 2008 9:57 AM

And there is Jenn! So many contrasts but she makes them all seem right. The dark and musty barn and the purity of expression. The pitchfork held in an iron grip of painted nails. Slop boots and perfect hair. Stained work jeans and spotless fleece. She may appear trapped between the world of farming and fashion, but sitting on a bale of hay or in the Russian Tea Room, Eva Gabor's got nothing on her!

Posted by Willow on June 1, 2008 9:15 PM

Wow- this reminds me of growing up at home. (We had horses) Beautiful photo.

Posted by nataJane on June 13, 2008 1:27 PM