Double Rainbow, Island Beach

This is another photograph from my vacation at Island Beach State Park in New Jersey two weeks ago. It was a rainy day but the sun popped out for 30 minutes close to 7pm and gave us this wonderful show over the Atlantic Ocean.

On a different subject, special thanks to my "regulars" for your patience between postings this summer! It's been a busy season with many jobs and responsibilities but I'll get back to a regular 2-3 day schedule when summer winds down a bit.

I still shoot everyday and have enough photos in my archives to maintain this blog, without taking another single photo, for at least five years! :)

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens at 24mm, ISO 200, f/14, 1/200s. Curves adjustment, color balancing, raindrop removal. :)

Thanks for visiting Durham Township!

Comments

Great shot, love the inclusion of the human figure.

Posted by Jeff Ambrose on July 17, 2008 12:01 AM

this is amazing but then again, they all are. i'm inspired by your art.

Posted by Darla on July 17, 2008 12:36 AM

Wow! Wonderful capture! .......with a jacket and shoes to match.

Posted by Diane on July 17, 2008 12:47 AM

Your pictures are always worth waiting for. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Posted by Seattleite on July 17, 2008 3:14 AM

Great mood, lovely shot :)

Posted by evilboarder on July 17, 2008 4:20 AM

finally a post. :)liked the bigger version of the shot very much because the details in sand and water are so much clearer.

Posted by sinkingsun on July 17, 2008 4:37 AM

The color of his slicker and the shoes in which he stands
Compliment the colors in the rainbow with it's many bands.
The son plays at the divide of the land and of the sea.
The sun plays with raindrops, God's promise for us to see.

(Genesis 9:12-16)

Posted by JPH on July 17, 2008 5:57 AM

The interplay of warm and cool colours make this rainbow shot special. I like the saturated tones.

Posted by Doris Doppler on July 17, 2008 6:49 AM

wow! Absolutely gorgeous! I haven't been to Island Beach for a while. This makes me want to go right now!

Posted by Andrea on July 17, 2008 8:20 AM

Now anyone can shoot dramatic landscapes and seascapes like the pros! Just order the new, cell phone sized, RainbowPro XL. It comes with easy to follow instructional video and over 4000 possible rainbow variation settings. A great source of wonderment for the whole family and a handy tool for photographers! (Can also be used as an effective sincerity enhancement graphic when making promises to friends or followers!)

(Demonstrated here with the dramatic "add-a-bird" optional upgrade. Choose the popular gull as shown or choose from over 2300 other species. Great for young and old alike!)

Available wherever Old Testament Miracle Devices are sold or order online at oldtestamentmiracledevices.com

Requires two AAAA batteries (not included.)

Thanks, Kathleen, for the new product demo. It looks great!

Posted by david tinnon on July 17, 2008 10:46 AM

I visit not only for the photos (which are spectacular) but for the comments from your readers. :)

Love your blog. I wish you had a button I could display on my blog for your website. Or maybe you do and I just don't know about it. Let me know if you do and where I can get the code because I'd gladly post it!

Dana
www.mylifeinpictures4u.blogspot.com

Posted by Dana on July 17, 2008 1:46 PM

I would like to add on to what Darla just said. Your photography does inspire me.

From time to time, I see these same scenes but you seem to make them almost better than real life. In real life, some times, it passes by so quickly, you really do not have time to enjoy it. Your pictures enable you to enjoy it.

I am inspired to try and capture what I see as well as you do. Notice I only said try. I don't expect to succeed.

Keep up the great work and thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

Posted by Ziggy on July 17, 2008 3:52 PM

The color and light are beautiful. It is the white of the waves that sets off everything else.

Posted by daina on July 17, 2008 6:42 PM

This is too beautiful to be real, you were lucky to capture the moment.
Don't worry about your regulars, we won't abandon the blog, your photos are too precious.

Posted by Luisa on July 17, 2008 6:46 PM

Very nice moment and scenery. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by ulugeyik on July 18, 2008 12:19 PM

WOW! Am left speechless. Not only did you capture a double rainbow..but the colors and the beach and the girl in the yellow rain jacket - are wonderful!

Posted by Marcie on July 18, 2008 1:04 PM

Marcie - A beautiful and inspired image. The colors of the girl's clothes - right down to the shoes - all combine to give extra punch to the presence of the sunlight. A glorious capture.

Posted by Stephen Phillips on July 18, 2008 5:38 PM

Every time I think I can not have seen a more beautiful photo you post another that takes my breath away.

Posted by James Wm Ball III on July 18, 2008 8:21 PM

Oh, what a wonderful scenery!

Posted by Wolfgang Burzler on July 19, 2008 6:27 AM

Fabulous light! Perfect timing. Lovely sharpness and composition. As always, perfection!

Posted by Anita Bower on July 19, 2008 7:20 AM

just i say so difficult...

Posted by reza Khalili on July 19, 2008 2:19 PM

I agree, the figure really makes the shot. Beautiful lighting!

Posted by Ryan Rahn on July 21, 2008 1:52 AM

Stunning shot, in very beautiful composition.

Posted by win naing on July 21, 2008 5:51 AM

Great shot - the colours and composition are great. Almost looks like the person is orchestrating the rainbows

Posted by Mark on July 21, 2008 8:44 AM

While it still looks like the fellow (guy? gal? beach person of interest?) is most likely using a Power Point feature on his (her?) iPhone to project the rainbow(s,) it also looks like he (she?) could be flying a kite instead...(See bird.).....or disposing of an old cell phone....or indicating the midpoint between the Canary Islands and Ireland as a likely course for discovering the "Old World?"

(As for the gender specificity question, I suspect we see Kathleen's usual stunt man of choice on a working vacation. Does this guy ever get a day off? Union scale? Free pizza?)

Posted by david tinnon on July 21, 2008 9:36 AM

That's it Mark, a short wave conductor!

Posted by david tinnon on July 21, 2008 10:49 AM

Beautiful saturated colours in this kathleen and the double rainbow really adds so much to this already excellent shot. Great work. Still an inspiration!

Posted by Craig Wilson on July 21, 2008 1:04 PM

Strange light. It's almost as if it was night and day. It seems as though the rainbow as being made by the person throwing something.

Posted by Apollo18 on July 22, 2008 8:01 AM

The rich colors, the warmth of the light, the rainbows, the ocean, and of course the yellow jacketed child are perfect together.

Posted by Laurie on July 22, 2008 8:44 AM

This is probably the most beautiful capture of a rainbow that I've seen yet...and the person in the yellow jacket and blue shoes (love this) just compliments it perfectly! Wonderful!

Posted by Susan on July 22, 2008 9:09 AM

A perfect capture. A photographers dream shot. I bet you couldn't get the exposure off fast enough.

Posted by Jim on July 22, 2008 2:03 PM

I'd say it was your lucky day. Beautiful shot.

Posted by Alice on July 22, 2008 8:13 PM

Very good colors. Are both rainbows real?

Posted by maynard on July 23, 2008 2:32 AM

maynard: Yes. :)

Posted by Kathleen on July 24, 2008 6:08 PM

Some where over the rainbow, his dreams can come true. It is our responsibility to safeguard his future. We must protect the people by protecting the planet. Then, and only then, will we all be able to sing along with Dorothy and her little dog too.

Posted by Willow on August 3, 2008 12:28 AM

Magic! Congratulations!

Posted by Evi on August 3, 2008 9:53 AM

Wonderful; there's nothing better than casting stones into a stormy sea.

Posted by Michael on August 3, 2008 10:04 AM

FABULOUS image Kathleen!

Posted by Jerry Moores on August 9, 2008 1:30 PM

It looks like he is trying to catch the pot of gold... or maybe he is wearing it!

Posted by Massimo on August 9, 2008 11:50 PM

Stunning image, the light captured here is beautiful and as ever this is perfectly composed.

Posted by LwS on August 14, 2008 10:48 AM

Amazing photo!!!! Grat capture, also maybe a little bit of luck :).

Posted by chiara on August 21, 2008 2:14 PM

A wonderful photo! Once, in Reykjavik, Iceland, I saw a double rainbow too after visiting a concert in the biggest church there, but I didn't had my camera with me. Fool! ... much to my regret.

Posted by Rob on August 30, 2008 5:49 PM

Double rainbow all the way!!! (It's starting to sven look like a triple rainbow!) Tell me what this meeeaannss!!!

Posted by Big A on April 9, 2011 8:49 PM