Jenn on the Brooklyn Bridge

This photo was taken a few weeks ago when Jenn and I were in Brooklyn on business with the very talented Rebecca, owner of Moontree Arts Letterpress Studio.

Walking over the Brooklyn Bridge is a magnificent experience -- it gives you a real sense of the bridge's architectural features, history, iconography and the genius behind it. The views of the New York City skyline are wonderful.

Incidentally, the Brooklyn Bridge was designed and constructed by the same man who built our local Riegelsville Bridge (that I've photographed many times over the years) which links Pennsylvania to New Jersey -- John A. Roebling.

Thanks again for your patience between postings ...

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon 85mm f/1.2L lens at f/1.6, 1/8000s, ISO 100. The blur or bokeh is due to shooting with this lens at f/1.6. Curves, color balancing.

Comments

That is some outrageous depth of field! Really nice shot.

Posted by Justin on August 2, 2008 12:11 PM

Great use of DOF! I like it.

Posted by Doris Doppler on August 2, 2008 1:06 PM

Your talents are just as effective in the big city as they are in the wide-open spaces! Nice one!

Posted by Steve B. on August 2, 2008 1:10 PM

Love the use of DOF! I am literally speachless otherwise.

Posted by Hadassah on August 2, 2008 1:54 PM

Great dof! There is great feeling of movement and stillness. Jenn is standing still and everybody else is moving.

Posted by Tero on August 2, 2008 3:10 PM

Nice play of warm tones set off by the shadows and sky, and of the play of complicated architecture punctuated by the pause of the central figure.

As the image unfurled, my first impression was ship's rigging and the thought that you were "Sailing to Philadelphia!" Amazing to consider this complex and graceful monument from another century still serving it's purpose. We have long acknowledged our inability to duplicate many ancient wonders like those massive structures found high in Andes, but looking at the Brooklyn Bridge today, I'd be willing to suggest that we could not build it again either.

Great framing Kathleen, and thanks to Jenn for adding grace on another scale and in another time to a peace of our past.

Posted by david tinnon on August 2, 2008 4:35 PM

You truly have a very fine blog with interesting photos! I have spent some time looking through the previous ones, impressing!
This photo could have been ordinary due to the motive but is made unusual in the excellent use of DOF which lifts the girl out of the photo -

Posted by randi on August 2, 2008 5:04 PM

I found your blog somehow while wandering around the internet. Your photos are really beautiful and captivating. What do you shoot with? I agree completely with the other viewers who commented on the depth of field in this picture. It is really nice!

Posted by Sharon on August 2, 2008 10:14 PM

Just like a woman to buck the flow
As she is coming as all others go.
What is it now that has caught her eye? A view of something unusual passing by?
Different sights make up this little trip
Outside of the boundries of Durham Township.

Posted by JPH on August 3, 2008 7:11 AM

Incredible dof! I've seen this bridge photographed many times..never with as much softness and feeling as this. Lovely!

Posted by Marcie on August 3, 2008 12:40 PM

Great photo, I love this DoF!

Posted by Wolfgang Burzler on August 3, 2008 2:49 PM

I love how you've used the DOF to essentially 'freeze' time on your specific subject, Jenn, as she pauses for a moment to reflect... all the while the hussle and bussle continues.

coolness.

Posted by Mikelangelo on August 3, 2008 4:29 PM

I didnt know you could walk on the brooklyn bridge. cool shot

Posted by cohnsey on August 3, 2008 7:13 PM

What can I say. Superb !

Posted by Monica D. on August 3, 2008 9:23 PM

This is wonderful. What a great use of the iconic bridge as a backdrop. Just wonderful.

Posted by Laurie on August 3, 2008 11:51 PM

It's been said by just about everyone already, but I wanted to chime in saying that the DOF in this shot is simply killer!

Mikelangelo's right when saying that the shallow DOF seems to freeze time for the subject. Very awesome shot!

Posted by Thomas on August 4, 2008 3:44 AM

Excellent DOF! Amazing DOF! Fantastic DOF!

Posted by Dirk Essl on August 4, 2008 7:30 AM

I've had a few people ask me what DoF is -- it stands for "depth of field."

It refers to the part of the photograph that's in sharp focus.

In this photograph, the depth of field is very small, or shallow. The only thing that's intentionally in focus is Jenn.

Photographers use a small depth of field to de-emphasize the background in a portrait because a sharp background can be distracting.

On the other hand, a typical landscape photo would be taken with a large depth of field to capture all the details.

In this portrait of Jenn, I didn't want to de-emphasize the Brooklyn Bridge completely (not that you could, anyway!) but the selective focus on Jenn gives the bridge architecture an appealing softness.

Selective focus, or shallow depth of field, is achieved by using a wide lens aperture (or opening) - in this case, f/1.6.

Here's a good link if you need a more technical explanation:

Posted by Kathleen on August 4, 2008 7:57 AM

This shot makes the bridge look more amazing (and definitely more calm) then it was in person!

Posted by Jenn on August 4, 2008 10:14 AM

With timing and dof you have masterfully separated your subject from the busy scene. Awesome!

Posted by John Zeweniuk on August 4, 2008 12:11 PM

Really nice. Everytime you use that 85 f/1.2 I want to get one. Although, in my hands it would probably not work and I would have to send it back because it would be "defective".

Posted by Kurt on August 4, 2008 7:09 PM

A moment's pause on the bridge we all tread but never cross. This timeless span connects two worlds we can never visit; past and future. It is always "now" on the bridge. We can face the future, or face the past. Walk, run or pause. Either way, we remain forever on the endless span. No one is early, no one is late, it's only now.

Posted by david tinnon on August 5, 2008 4:11 PM

You always capture the best images of everyday life.
I enjoy the visits to your blog.
It reminds me of what is important in life.

Posted by Mark on August 6, 2008 3:09 PM

Wow is all I can say as this is so amazing the mesh of wires and the depth of field just frame the beautiful lady so well...
Please check out a similar genre of a a couple admittedly posing for me in the British countryside..

Posted by Timothy West on August 8, 2008 6:06 PM

Congratulations for your stunning portfolio of photos and the quality of your photoblo. Kind regards, Loic

Posted by Loic Brohard on August 8, 2008 6:38 PM

I love your photos. I wish I could learn to take great photos like you. I take photos too, but I don't know much about editing. I have a Photo Journal on my blog. Your pictures are so perfect. I love your photos, they are your gift to the world. You are blessed

Posted by Edgar Nievera on August 9, 2008 2:41 AM

That really is a fantastic shot!!!

Posted by Deana on August 9, 2008 10:58 AM

Hi,
I'm new to your photoblog, but I am hooked! Your imagery and compositions are breathtaking and inspiring!

I would like to share an Arte y Pico award with you as a way to say, "thank you" for making the blogosphere a more beautiful place.

Gail

Posted by Neuroknitter on August 12, 2008 11:36 AM

Very captivating and I just love the stand still. I cant stop staring!

Posted by trevor on August 13, 2008 10:35 AM

Very captivating and I just love the stand still. I cant stop staring!

Posted by trevor on August 13, 2008 10:35 AM

Amazing dof in this portrait, works really well

Posted by LwS on August 14, 2008 10:47 AM

I love that bridge. The pretty girl matches well.
Cannot find any RSS feed on your page.

Posted by oldshutterhand on August 19, 2008 1:57 AM

Love the use of selective DOF. Perfect shot

Posted by chiara on August 21, 2008 2:12 PM

You've entered my RSS feeds !! Great stuff you have, really. This one is a top street photography picture. The man, at the left hand side of the girl, is also looking to the same direction, which makes this beautiful composition complete !!

Posted by Jan on August 23, 2008 5:52 AM