Winnie on the Patio

This photo was taken a few weeks ago in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, at the home of my friends, the Carey family. Winnie is a wonderful and sweet English Setter. She was relaxing on a patio chair with an intricately-patterned cushion when I took this photo.

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon 85mm f/1.2L lens at f/3.5, 1/1250s, ISO 200. Curves, color balancing, very slight crop.

Comments

A wonderful portrait of the dog. It looks like a painting.

Posted by Cerstin on August 13, 2008 2:51 AM

Oh it's a cushion. It looks like she is sitting among the leaves and plants. Such a beautiful shot, and dog.

Posted by iced coffee on August 13, 2008 4:12 AM

Looks great! Like an old painting.

Posted by Doris Doppler on August 13, 2008 5:12 AM

This is one of the best pet portraits I've ever seen. It has so much class. Just beautiful. She is a lovely dog.

Posted by Laurie on August 13, 2008 9:42 AM

At the risk of just repeating what has already been said, my first thoughts were of a renaissance painting.

Posted by Michael George on August 13, 2008 11:40 AM

this shot is just oozing style... great shot as usual!

Posted by John Zeweniuk on August 13, 2008 12:24 PM

Canis Familiaris replaces the nude in Henri Rousseau's "The Dream." No mere "pet project," but an adventure in art from Kathleen's Travels.

Merci

Posted by david tinnon on August 13, 2008 12:29 PM

I am always interested to see your blog pop up in my reader--it means there is another beautiful picture to admire and wonder at. I had to comment this time, though your photos are all worth comments! This is an amazing portrait, and of a dog! Your lighting color and composition is always perfect, and your photos always capture something unexpected.

Posted by ellen on August 13, 2008 12:54 PM

For a moment I thought she was lying in a bed of flowers. The effect is great!! Very sweet image.

Posted by Marcie on August 13, 2008 1:03 PM

For a moment I thought she was lying in a bed of flowers!!! It is very reminiscent of a painting. Very sweet image.

Posted by Marcie on August 13, 2008 1:35 PM

That couch makes for a perfect backdrop...what a honey!

Posted by Susan on August 13, 2008 2:40 PM

What a wonderful portrait, these colours are great.

Posted by Wolfgang Burzler on August 13, 2008 3:14 PM

such a beauty.

Posted by Otto K. on August 13, 2008 5:48 PM

Just lovel, both pooch and photo. What a lovely gift for your hosts. - BTW have you ever considered going to Hawk Mountain to photograph eagles, hawks and falcons?

Posted by Noreen on August 13, 2008 6:10 PM

Black and white... in color. Beautiful!

Posted by BeeBee on August 13, 2008 9:35 PM

So many people have commented on the painterly quality of this portrait and I have to agree. To me, the colors and motif of the fabric make it look like the work of Henri Rousseau (such as the famous 1910 "The Dream")

Posted by Marc on August 14, 2008 1:24 AM

As quite a few people have already picked up, the first impression of this is that it resembles a painting. It has a beautiful colour palette and is compositionally strong.
For me, it's very evocative of the Victorian school of animal painters,perhaps epitomised by Landseer (http://store.encore-editions.com/Artists/Edwin_Landseer.html).

Posted by Roy on August 14, 2008 3:56 AM

Love this photo. Can I invite you to my home so you can take portrait shots of my two greyhounds? Just kidding (unless you've been dreaming of coming to Cincinnati)!

Gail

Posted by Gail on August 14, 2008 10:52 AM

Love this - a beautiful image - the sofa works brilliantly as a backdrop.

Posted by LwS on August 14, 2008 11:07 AM

What a cute pup!

Posted by Alice on August 14, 2008 9:21 PM

Thanks you for sharing Winnie with the World. Your work is amazing. I was there that day and wish everyone could see the beauty you capture. Thank you.

Posted by Jill on August 14, 2008 10:57 PM

Amazing work! I am in awe!

Posted by Christine on August 15, 2008 11:22 AM

A brilliant mix of art and photography – well done!

Posted by Framed and Shot on August 15, 2008 4:15 PM

I really like the way the head of the dog separates from the background. Your photos, as always, make me say - dang, why can't I do that?

Posted by kurt on August 15, 2008 5:41 PM

She looks very comfortable. What a perfect photograph, her clear eyes are coming out very nice. The flower pattern does the trick here...

Posted by javga on August 16, 2008 4:13 AM

I'm not so much into photographs, nor even paintings of animals, but I have to tell you that this is awesomely beautiful. Everything in it just WORKS as a true work of art. This photograph (the word doesn't even seem appropriate) would most likely "grab" anyone who views it. Wonderful...

Posted by Jerri on August 17, 2008 4:29 PM

What outstanding photography, mixed wiht a tough of art.. great composition

Posted by Michael J. Matusinec on August 18, 2008 2:41 PM

I must admit I am not usually a fan of doggie pictures, but this is excellent, colourwise and composition! I like the bold crop too -;)

Posted by Peter on August 19, 2008 12:07 PM

I love the contrast of the color in the flowers with the black and white dog.

Posted by Laurie on August 19, 2008 11:47 PM

Kathleen, some people just have an eye for photography. I wish I was one of them, but you certianly are! Great shot.

Posted by Edward on August 20, 2008 9:35 AM

What a poser! But a beautiful dog, the details are amazing. Well done Kathleen.

Posted by Craig Wilson on August 22, 2008 8:43 AM

nice photo!

Posted by razener on August 22, 2008 11:39 AM

How can this be? It's terribly wrong!
The list of comments is now terribly long!
I've carefully checked it, for the eighty-tenth time.
By now I'm quite sure, there's not even one rhyme!
Not a poem about patios, not one rhyme e-word!
Not a Rousseau limerick can even be herd.
So in honor of Winnie (and dogs everywhere,)
Please pull out your pencil, and pull up your chair.
Let totally fly with your imagination
and pen up a chunk of literary creation.
Let's not be too slow, don't make this pup wait!
Surely some Longfellow (or Web-ster) will step up to the plate
and whip out a brilliant couplet of sonnets
like the ones most of us just keep under our bonnets.
Now just settle down and crank out an ode,
I just hope K's site can handle the load!
Then we can all sit back and rest in the knowing
Kathleen's "Winnie-ng" portrait has a totally fine showing.

(extra points awarded for DOF rhyming)

Posted by david tinnon on August 23, 2008 11:50 AM

Line after line that sounded rather terse....
Did I sense some hounding about no words of verse?
The busyness of life sometimes takes up so much time
To pause a few moments and pencil a rhyme.
Winnie the Setter has quite a peaceful life
Relaxing on the chair, lacking all strife.
So mind those curves, balance and watch your depth of field
Keeping all in proper focus, a long life will yield.

Posted by JPH on August 23, 2008 3:55 PM

Wow!

That's indeed a great composition.

Thosee eyes are really pretty.

I do not know what exactly, but I see some pattern on Winnie's body to be a part of the design on the cloth.

Nice! :)

Posted by kvaibhav on August 24, 2008 5:49 AM

JPH, we will require an official ruling on the use of "depth of field" as opposed to using the required "DOF" for extra points. If your "x-points" are denied, do not kick at the officials or toss your bronze, this is Durham, not Biejing...

(...and I am compelled to re-point out how such a simple and common sight as a dog on a divan is art if someone sees it. Thanks, Kathleen #(I'll have to check the records, but it's way past 2K)

Posted by david tinnon on August 24, 2008 11:31 AM

Beautiful photo, and excellent blog! It's my first time here and I think I'll spend some time browsing your wonderful photos. I'll also add your photoblog to my list of favourites. Thanks!

Posted by Laura on August 25, 2008 6:52 AM

Thanks to Kathleen's proper use of the DOF
We can tell Winnie lies not on a table with a nef.
All KC's fine pictures raises
The need to sing out her praises
Making noise so loud that others go deaf.

(DT - Hope this qualifies better)

Posted by JPH on August 25, 2008 4:10 PM

"...on a table with a nef.?" I'm squinting askance in the effort to swallow hard and take it sitting down...........but I suppose I asked for it and should let it lie rather than poke at it. So your point, Jon...(although more than one poetic license has been revoked for a less reckless display)....and thanks to Kathleen, Winnie now has more lines of verse than the average dog could dream of--(My guess as the figures on lines of verse drempt by average dogs remains a subject of long and vigorous dispute and the isolated claim by a New Brunswick physicist that his boxer pup can "dream Evangeline in three languages" obviously is not average.) (Kathleen sure has a knack for starting things though.)

Posted by david tinnon on August 26, 2008 3:42 AM

For you who want-to-be a better Renaissance man...

nef (nef), n. (in the Middle Ages) a silver or gold table furnishing in the form of a ship, either for holding various utensils or for ornament.

Posted by JPH on August 26, 2008 10:57 AM

Kathleen; PLEASE!! Hurry back.

Posted by on August 26, 2008 5:06 PM

Such a wonderful compo, lovely portrait also!

Posted by Evi on August 26, 2008 5:17 PM

Oh.........er......nef-er mind.........wait a minute Jon, so how is it we are likely to mistake Rousseau's pup divan for a middle-aged nef laden table? (Or perhaps it is just a good week for unconventional poetry.) And yes, where is that woman who gets this all going, only to vanish....nuf to make you shutter.

Posted by david tinnon on August 27, 2008 1:41 AM

This is such a fine and beautiful portrait, congratulations!

Posted by Alfredo J. Martiz J. on August 29, 2008 5:25 PM

Aristocratic look... beautiful. I missed your photos. Glad to see some new.

Posted by Mistina on August 29, 2008 5:44 PM

Extraordinary...much like the photographer.

Posted by John on August 30, 2008 2:22 PM

I hope all is well and your next post is soon, I'm having a bit of withdrawl

Posted by Ed W on September 2, 2008 5:03 PM

Wow!!!
Realli nice picture!
i like the dog and the pattern of flower in the background.

Posted by Corsi Di Fotografia on September 3, 2008 3:37 AM

I hope everything is alright!

Posted by Laurie on September 3, 2008 7:28 AM

I hope you post something new soon. I check your site every day, and although I like the dog I can't take it any more! Please post something new!

Posted by Shannon on September 3, 2008 1:38 PM

Does anyone have any experience/information about a breed like "Winnie the Pooch"? Is it calm, friendly, or a good watch dog? Considering a pup and thought she is a nice size for a small family. Thanks :)

Posted by Noreen on September 3, 2008 6:40 PM

has the glorious beauty of a painting because I'm sure this type of pup has been used in many works of art in the past. Really lovely work, Kathleen.

Posted by Michael Skorulski on September 4, 2008 10:32 AM

Kathleen. Come in, Kathleen. We love the dog, but he's had enough air time. We miss you and your pictures!

Posted by RD on September 5, 2008 8:49 AM

Get that dog off the couch !

Posted by Lily on September 5, 2008 10:42 AM

Should we call Homeland Security? Denver? Minneapolis? Georgia? WalMart? Can't really say I'm tired of this image though. The smile reminds me of the Mona Lisa except ML was looking the other way......and I think ML was in a rocking chair in place of Rousseau's Lounge.....any way this one is better.....KC really captured the smile.....and Winnie is much better looking than that ML chick.

Posted by david tinnon on September 5, 2008 11:41 AM

For heaven's sake child, JPH has run out of verse, Ed W is curled up in a ball from withdrawl, RD is tired of it all, Shannon can't take it anymore, Laurie is worried and David Tinnon is reduced to calling the Mona Lisa a chick. Do what Lily said, Get That Dog Off The Couch!

Posted by Motina on September 5, 2008 12:48 PM

.....and after all this, "Best Comment" goes to your Mom!

Posted by david tinnon on September 5, 2008 5:14 PM

For those of you who haven't discovered it yet
KathleenConnally.com has many photos, so don't fret.
Type in that address and soon you will find
Many people, critters and landscapes sublime.
Maybe KC needs some time to get things in fresh perspective
So let's patiently wait, is my friendly directive.
To be missed by so many is a tribute to her skill.
Who knows? It may be tomorrow a new picture will thrill.

Posted by JPH on September 5, 2008 7:17 PM

UH OH JPH hit the rewind button. Or maybe it has something to do with Hanna visiting his town. David is now handing out awards. Som'bodda help me.

Posted by Lil' Richard on September 6, 2008 10:46 AM

Winnie can help you, Lil' Richard. Simply log on to this site, (you obviously have) and sit quietly before your computer in a comfortable chair. Sit up straight with your feet flat on the floor and hands in your lap. Now close your eyes and quiet your inner self (only takes two minutes). Once inner stillness is achieved, mentally place a bowl of Purina Dog Chow on your keyboard. (It is necessary use an actual bowl of dog food as it may spill into your keyboard and give you problems later.) For the more advanced practitioner of the Spiritual Arts you may place the bowl on the floor in front of the divan Winnie inhabits. Wait quietly and in your stillness. Momentarily you will hear a soft distant bell similar to a door chime. This is the indicator that The Winnie has found your offering acceptable and you may now pose a request for guidance and/or wisdom directly to The Winnie with the confident knowing that your answer(s) will be promptly forthcoming. As you open your eyes, watch the screen carefully. The Winnie will slowly wink her right eye to indicate this transaction has been completed.

If you experience any difficulties with the procedure, log on to http://successfulycommunicatingwithdogsviayourcomputet.com
and click on the FAQ button..........your welcome.

Posted by david tinnon on September 7, 2008 10:40 AM

Thanks so much david. I needed that.

Posted by Lil' Richard on September 7, 2008 11:46 PM