Rainbow in a Cornfield, 7:40 p.m.

Thank you for your patience between postings this summer.

During my absence I was caring for my Dad, who became unexpectedly ill in late July and passed away on August 16th.

There's no way to condense my feelings & thoughts about my Dad in a blog post, so I'll say that if we are indeed the sum of our influences, every one of my photos has a big part of my Dad in it.

Some help from one of my favorite poets:

With my father
I would watch dawn
Over green fields.

-- Kobayashi Issa

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a summer full of rainbows. Every shower or thunderstorm seemed to have one in tow and I was able to catch a lot of them with the camera. This photo was taken during the evening of July 17th when the sun was low in the sky, before the corn had its tassels.

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens at 70mm, ISO 800, f/14, shutter 1/250s. Curves, color balancing.

I'll be posting more regularly this month, although my normal 3-4 a week schedule may not return until October.

Comments

Kathlen returned!!!
Very nice photo!

Posted by Mare.Kulikowski on September 8, 2008 2:09 PM

Always well worth the wait. Your words as well as your photos are a great tribute to your father.

Posted by Jeff on September 8, 2008 2:35 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Great poem and tribute. Sometimes short and sweet is all that's needed.

Posted by Brandon Stone on September 8, 2008 2:52 PM

Kathleen, best wishes to you and your family during this time. What a hopeful image this is. Take care.

Posted by Beau Harbin on September 8, 2008 2:54 PM

Welcome back with another fantastic photo. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Posted by Syd on September 8, 2008 3:44 PM

the fruit never falls far from the tree. you are truly a special person to have cared for your father during his illness. your pictures are a present each day for us to open. thank you and God be with you and your family.

Posted by jo-jo on September 8, 2008 4:24 PM

Beautiful photo, and my sympathies to you and your family.

Posted by Danise on September 8, 2008 4:32 PM

Oh Kathleen I was afraid your absence had something to do with your dad being ill. I am so deeply sorry for your loss.

This is a wonderfully moving photo. It seems so fitting and poetic.

God bless you and your family.

Posted by Laurie on September 8, 2008 5:01 PM

A sprout of a youth lined in rank with the corn
Hands on his hips, standing in wheat shortly shorn.
A son, a grandson, the next generation soon grown
To a man, maybe a father, to pass on memories of his own.
To see any rainbow one can not face the light.
Look to the dark clouds, now it is in sight.

With my thoughts and prayers. JON

Posted by JPH on September 8, 2008 5:15 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.

Posted by Anthony DiSante on September 8, 2008 8:11 PM

At the end of a rainbow a beautiful child. - Wishing you Peace, Comfort and Smiles in every memory of your Dad.

Posted by Noreen on September 8, 2008 8:23 PM

Rainbows are always nice to see. Sorry for the passing of your father. If is always hard to lose one that you love. My thoughts and prayer are with you and your family.

Posted by kathyt on September 8, 2008 9:02 PM

Very surreal and makes me think of Field of Dreams for some reason!

Posted by Bob on September 8, 2008 9:02 PM

Kathleen, some prose follows that has helped me in a time of great loss. My best to you and your family...

Gone From My Sight

I am standing upon a seashore. A ship at my side spreads his white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. He is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch him until at length he hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says: "There, he is gone!"

"Gone where?"

Gone from my sight. That is all. He is just as large in mast and hull and spar as he was when he left my side, and he is just as able to bear his load of living freight to his destined port.

His diminished size is in me, not in him.

And just at the moment when someone at my side says: "There, he is gone!" -- there are other eyes watching him coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: "Here he comes!"

And that is dying.
by Henry Van Dyke

Posted by Judith Polakoff on September 8, 2008 9:57 PM

Kathleen - your amazing images are a tribute to your Father - I'm so sorry for your family's loss & grief - this too shall pass....

Posted by Betsy Barron on September 8, 2008 10:04 PM

Kathleen - thank you for your inspiring art, even in this time of hurt. You truly are a special and talented person. God bless.

Posted by David on September 8, 2008 10:21 PM

I've missed your photos. Welcome back. I lost my father recently, after helping with his care for months. Miss him, too. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Posted by Rusty on September 8, 2008 10:46 PM

Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

I visit your blog regularly in anticipation of the next photograph. Thank you for sharing yourself (and your father) with us.

Posted by Steve on September 9, 2008 12:16 AM

Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

Posted by Sara on September 9, 2008 12:37 AM

This mature crop, the fresh sprout, the ancient symbol of promise, added to the news for your father's passing recalls a proverb about the sower who's seeds "fall on good ground and bring forth fruit a hundredfold..." (Guess some proverbs still work!) Please add my kindest thoughts to the good wishes from the rest of your unique extended family which now surly numbers as the stalks of corn in the field, and may you and your family enjoy rainbows exceeding the wonder of the ones you share.

Posted by david tinnon on September 9, 2008 2:17 AM

Very sorry to hear of your loss Kathleen.

Posted by Simon on September 9, 2008 3:10 AM

Glad to see you back, of course, but I'm very sorry for your loss.

Posted by Kevin on September 9, 2008 5:25 AM

Kathleen, my deepest sympathies for the loss of your father.

Posted by Betty on September 9, 2008 5:30 AM

Kathleen, this is my first post although I have been following your work for over a year now. You are an inspiration and your work... aaaah, it says so much. Bless you.
I am sorry about your father. I know how it is to loose a father.

Posted by Zain on September 9, 2008 8:33 AM

I am so sorry for your loss, Kathleen. I lost my father two years ago so know perhaps a little how you feel. Perhaps you could share a photo of him with his. Take care.

Posted by Laurie on September 9, 2008 8:34 AM

durhamtownship.com is my startpage in my browser for about two years. I’m very sorry about your Father and I hope sincerely you keep your work at www.durhamtownship.com like a part of your Dad memory.Take care

Posted by Antonio Sarasua on September 9, 2008 9:13 AM

Glad to see you are back. Beautiful picture. Wonderful tribute to your dad.

Posted by Janet on September 9, 2008 9:58 AM

You have managed to capture a unique moment with a deeper meaning.

Posted by Tero on September 9, 2008 10:59 AM

Katyleen ,
So sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad .Our hearts and prayes go out to you and yours .
Adolph

Posted by Adolph on September 9, 2008 12:37 PM

Stunning image! I'm speechless!!!

Posted by Marcie on September 9, 2008 1:17 PM

Fantastic color, composition and depth of field. Was the highlight around the boy natural? Just perfect.

Our prayers go out to you and your family. God Bless.

Posted by Hren | Design on September 9, 2008 5:08 PM

Thank you to everyone for your kind words, prayers and comfort. I really appreciate the time you took to write.

Hren: Yes, it's sunlight coming through a bank of trees behind where we were standing. My son was running through the light and I asked him to stand still for a moment. (Easier said than done, but all I needed was 1/250 of a second... and I got just that, haha.)

Posted by Kathleen on September 9, 2008 5:58 PM

So sorry Kathleen. So sad to hear that.
Fantastic image.

Posted by aminTorres on September 9, 2008 6:07 PM

So sorry for your loss.
So glad you're back.

Posted by Chris on September 9, 2008 7:58 PM

Awesome Photograph!

Posted by barbara Rahal on September 9, 2008 8:46 PM

I am very sorry for your loss, the fact that you were able to care for your father will help with the grieving process. Take care of yourself now. This photo is beautiful, one of the best.

Posted by Denise Boaz on September 9, 2008 10:09 PM

hi
regularly checking your website, so i cannot visit without offering my condolances for losing your father.

Maarten
Netherlands.

Posted by Mvdw on September 10, 2008 4:14 AM

Kathleen, my deepest condolences for the loss of your father. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

As usual, your photo is breathtaking and is always worth the wait. It might be said that your son standing there in the sunlight is your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. God bless all of you.

Posted by Russ Devan on September 10, 2008 8:59 AM

Your posts where missed.
This shot is a fitting tribute.
I am truly sorry for your loss.
I am sure he is extremely proud of your accomplishments.
Mark

Posted by Mark on September 10, 2008 10:33 PM

Kathleen,
I am very sorry for your loss. A friend of mine told me today that he just lost his father, suddenly. Mine has been gone for a long time and he is still just as missed. Lost Mom this year so I know what you are going thru. The family started a photo/memory blog of our parents and relatives a few years ago and it just keeps getting more popular for us. (Great old BW's). Going way back to the old photos has been a way for us to deal with it. Hope you are taking some time off. Beautiful new photo, also, with wonderful sentiment.

Posted by Vince Piotti on September 11, 2008 1:40 AM

Sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family

Posted by Suzette on September 11, 2008 6:25 AM

this si a powerful image with a brilliant light....

Posted by elaine on September 12, 2008 2:31 AM

Kathleen,
Sorry for your loss.
I'm Japanese and love Issa's haiku.
Original in Japanese is follows.

chichi(=father) arite
akebono(=dawn) mitashi
aotabara(=green field)

That's beautiful poem, like your mind and your photos.
My father passed away last year.
Thank you.

Posted by tetsu on September 12, 2008 7:32 PM

Ok, I'm in tears as I read your words and the comments of your readers. The poetry is beautiful. I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. Your talents are a tribute to him. I don't comment too often, but I thoroughly enjoy your photoblog.

The picture is breathtaking as usual.

Posted by Dana (Sunshine) on September 13, 2008 6:13 PM

I'm truly sorry for your loss.
Thank you very much for your blog and the beauty you create.

Posted by Catrynne on September 14, 2008 6:42 AM

We are conditioned to believe that our lives must follow a prescribed sequence of events and that throughout these life events certain "unpleasant things" will occur.

Storms come, sometimes building for days and other times, seemingly out of nowhere. They can be harbingers of indescribable tragedy and sadness, but they can often be followed by a message of hope; rainbows appear to show us the beauty that can come from pain and sorrow.

Life is like a rainbow: elusive, unpredictable and varied in intensity. Like life, over time, even the most brilliant colors of the rainbow must fade, but the reminders of those who have passed before us are manifested in the presence of those who are with us now.

Although their memories are sometimes obscured by the clouds of day to day life, we will always find solace in their comforting embrace.

The peace is in the knowing.

Posted by Willow on September 15, 2008 9:24 PM

My condolences, Kathleen, I have nothing to add to the above comments... thinking of you and looking at the stars... beautiful.
Regards,

Posted by Ian on September 20, 2008 6:38 AM

Amazing moment!

Posted by el_extranjero (the stranger) on October 1, 2008 4:05 PM

Great picture. Nice contrast between the two side of the rainbow.

Posted by Massimo Belloni on October 14, 2008 11:23 AM