Secret Pumpkin Patch

This photo was taken on Sunday afternoon at a farm in Bath, Pennsylvania, about 20 miles north of Durham Township.

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens at 24mm, ISO 200, f/20, 1/160s. Curves adjustments for contrast & saturation, color balancing.

Comments

What a neat idea. Of course I'm a HomestarRunner fan so the first thing that came to my mind was secret eating:

Posted by Anthony DiSante on October 6, 2008 12:35 AM

This is truly (really truly) one of the most wonderful photographs I have ever seen. I love the composition, the fabulous sky and those sweet little pumpkins in their cosy little patch. Is this one available in print?

Posted by Edwinek on October 6, 2008 2:32 AM

Looks beautiful and very secluded, I like the vertical composition that draws your eye up the piece...

Looks alot nicer/peaceful than the Bath I know here in the UK!

Posted by James Wade on October 6, 2008 4:48 AM

I really like the way this pumpkin patch is framed by the corn...great fall image.

Posted by Bob on October 6, 2008 6:50 AM

Every element is perfectly placed in the frame. It's as if it was just waiting for you to come along and photograph it.

Posted by Laurie on October 6, 2008 8:57 AM

Very nice !

Posted by Mare.Kulikowski on October 6, 2008 11:01 AM

Another beauty.
We all know that clouds perform for you. Look at
those shaped like two heads(?) with eyes, waiting
to reach each other and kiss.

Posted by Monique on October 6, 2008 11:09 AM

It certainly is a very sincere-looking pumpkin patch! ;)

Posted by Steve B. on October 6, 2008 11:21 AM

We are out numbered, and totally surrounded......shucks, any of you guys speak corn?

Posted by David Tinnon on October 6, 2008 2:38 PM

Tassles pointing skyward, standing ear to ear,
Corn ready for harvest, it's been a good year.
Ready for choosing the golden globes of the season,
They might become a carved face or a pie that is pleasin'.
White cotton candy clouds in the blue sky above,
Complete this picture of fall. It's one that I love.

Posted by JPH on October 6, 2008 4:19 PM

Gorgeous! Wish I was there right now...

Posted by on October 6, 2008 4:58 PM

Love the symmetrical framing..and the secret you've uncovered. Excellent!

Posted by Marcie on October 6, 2008 5:31 PM

Really captures the whole 'pumpkin patch' idea to a tee. And all of that wonderful blue sky adds so much drama.....great shot.

Posted by Mike Blanchard on October 6, 2008 8:07 PM

Fantastic surreal feeling! Pumpkin hideout! Great work.

Posted by Tero on October 7, 2008 1:11 AM

Lovely shot. The sky looks amazing. Although I find it really creepy these patches in the middle of cornfields. Why have it in the middle? Why a secret?

Posted by Zain on October 7, 2008 5:33 AM

Surprising. I can't understand why to hide the pumpkins... Usually the marijuana fields are hidden this way....
Nice picture !

Posted by Denis on October 7, 2008 5:35 PM

Kathleen ,
SO MANY JOYOUS PLACES IN YOUR AREA ,thanks for your talent and hard work and kimd sharing .
Adolph

Posted by Adolph on October 7, 2008 8:49 PM

What a great find Kathleen. Its as if the pumpkins are hidden in a secret corn field :-)
PS: congrats on DTown mag :) looks like we will be in the same issue. Can't wait to see which picture of yours will be published.
Happy Autumn!!!
Ruth

Posted by Ruth Taylor on October 8, 2008 7:42 PM

Under an azure sky, filled with fanciful shapes, the Orange Warriors of the Pumpkin Platoons contemplated their fate. Boxed in and out flanked, they remembered the lessons of their Academy professors. The Charge of the Light Brigade, Waterloo, Custer, the Alamo, the 300,.......would this day bring The Pumpkins Last Stand? Or can they successfully play the right angles in this crop circle and live to fight again?

Posted by david tinnon on October 10, 2008 12:58 PM

Wonderful photo, I like the sky and these colours.

Posted by Wolfgang Burzler on October 10, 2008 3:14 PM

Nice Kathleen, good composition and eye. Have you ever experimented with Tone Mapping?

Posted by flyfishertc on October 11, 2008 11:25 AM

very nicely composed very well thought out and you took advantage of the colour of the sky well done!

Posted by Philip on October 11, 2008 2:01 PM

Great shot! Excellent motive and composition! I really like your work!

Posted by Filip Wiberg Photography on October 11, 2008 2:20 PM

hey Kathleen, that's a good one there. how did you locate this one?

Posted by Jeet on October 13, 2008 12:13 AM

Looks as if pumpkins are drugs. Great colours.

Posted by oldshutterhand on October 14, 2008 4:29 AM

Edwinek: I'll be printing again in mid-November so if you're interested, let me know what size you'd like.

Zain and Jeet: The pumpkins were hidden for children to find in a corn maze. You can read all about what a corn maze is here, and find one near you if you're in the U.S.:

www.cornfieldmaze.com

Ruth Taylor: Congrats to you on the magazine... however, I turned them down! :) I wasn't happy with the contract.

flyfishertc: I probably should know what tone mapping is but I don't... so no, haha. What is it?

Posted by Kathleen on October 14, 2008 8:29 AM

You want to put us all together; you want us all to be the same. Same color, same size, same flavor. You want to smash us and bake us into the same pie. Sorry, despite your best efforts, the kids, both young and old, continue to carve out different faces and express their individual hopes and dreams.

Posted by Willow on October 21, 2008 10:17 PM

A wonderful image. I like the division into two parts: the blue coudy sky and the farmland. Countryside scene at its best!

Posted by Rob on October 25, 2008 3:53 PM