Raubs Island, 8:44 a.m.

Photograph info: This is another photograph from last Friday morning on Raubs Island.

I love shooting in the fog because you get a naturally monochromatic view of things that are normally in full color. I also love not knowing when the fog will disappear -- and having to hustle to accomplish any photographic goals I have.

The fog over the Delaware River dissipates quickly when it reaches its "tipping point" -- this was taken just 16 minutes before the photo in the previous post.

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens at 24mm, ISO 160, f/4, 1/1600s. White balance adjustment (slightly warmer) and basic curves adjustment for contrast.

Comments

That's absolutely gorgeous. Are the warm yellow tones coming from the sunlight or from the white balance adjustment? I love the fog and will be trying some photos next time there is any. Thanks for the ideas.

Posted by Zulq on November 1, 2008 3:20 PM

Down at the riverside, beauty does abound.
Fog cloaks the trees, merging sky with the ground.
The boy, the water, an endless supply of stones
Tossing one after another, his pitching arm he hones.

Posted by JPH on November 1, 2008 3:44 PM

Zulq: Both - I have the white balance set to 'auto' on the 5D and it's just plain wrong on occasion, so I adjust in post to a more accurate temperature.

Posted by Kathleen on November 1, 2008 4:00 PM

Ooooh! I really like the mood in this! It is just incredible how dramatically the scene changes in just a few minutes time when there is fog.

Posted by Laurie on November 1, 2008 5:38 PM

Underneath the nearest star,
a stone clinched in his fist.
What force does compel a man
to stone the empty mist?

Nice spread of cobbles. It would keep me busy for hours, yet this world only lasts for minutes.

Thanks for sharing your minutes!

Posted by david tinnon on November 1, 2008 6:01 PM

Seems a bit surrealistic, probably because of the boy's movement captured in this strange position. Actually, he resembles the Sigur Ros's sign that I have on my T-shirt, the spooky sleepwalker: http://www.justcoffeeart.com/scandinavian/sleepwalker.jpg
I don't know why but Your best photos always make me think of music.

Posted by Marta on November 2, 2008 10:49 AM

superb!

Posted by sarto - photographie noir et blanc - holga on November 2, 2008 1:25 PM

I loveeee fog. I have been seeing it on I95 while driving home in the am from work lately lol.
I keep thinking I wish I could pull over and take some pictures!

This is just yummy!

Posted by Jody on November 2, 2008 9:15 PM

oh man! this picture is awesome, its my new wallpaper!

regards!

Posted by ignacio on November 2, 2008 9:56 PM

Very beautiful.

Posted by PiXistenZ on November 3, 2008 12:34 AM

Beautiful tones and a lovely golden feel in this image. Simply breathtaking.

Posted by Craig Wilson on November 3, 2008 5:48 AM

Kathleen, thanks for sharing, you never disappoint me when you capture the river.

Posted by TJS on November 3, 2008 7:59 AM

Great shot, the colour is amazing!

Posted by Laura on November 3, 2008 8:44 AM

Just lovely..love the feel of this image.

Posted by Cheryl Doran-Girard on November 3, 2008 4:26 PM

Fantastic moments, great shot. Congratulations

Posted by Basilio on November 3, 2008 5:19 PM

Cast your unique stone into the darkness, the mists of obscurity, created by those whose sole function is to distort, to confuse, to play on your emotion. Then, anxiously watch the ripple of your choices spread across the country and yes, across the world.

Everyone that is a citizen of this Republic has the right to participate in a special and some would say sacred event. You hold out hope that what you have read, what you have heard and what you feel, is at least partially the truth. So, get your picture ID, get in line, exercise your right, vote your conscience and win or lose, be prepared to accept that which you have helped to create.

Posted by Willow on November 3, 2008 5:45 PM

Great atmosphere. I too like single-color scenes like this one. Beautiful photo.

Posted by Mark Dodge Medlin on November 12, 2008 1:54 AM

I really like this photo cause of how the person isn't in the center. He is slightly off to the side.

Posted by Kayla on November 13, 2008 10:06 AM

superbe. beau cliché, comme d'ailleurs beaucoup sur ton blog.

Posted by charles on November 18, 2008 10:39 AM

joyous shot.

Posted by Otto K. on November 30, 2008 5:56 PM

I am in love of your mist (eries) I mean effects.
And also this lovely picture on the lake with such this creeping things on the water!
And also all I would see and comments in a too much long time but not thought.

Posted by Melodyan on April 9, 2009 8:30 PM