Jenn with a Sketchbook at the Michener Museum

Photograph info: This photograph was taken on Wednesday at the James A. Michener Museum in Doylestown, Pennsylvania, about 20 miles south of Durham Township.

Jenn is sketching from The Wooded Watershed, a 22 foot mural painted in 1928 by Bucks County artist Daniel Garber.

We saw two excellent photography exhibits: Saving Face, the personal photographic collection of Bucks County resident Robert Infarinato (featuring two prints from Jacques Henri Lartigue, one of my idols) and Shifting Ground featuring exquisite prints of the Icelandic landscape by my friend Paula Chamlee.

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens at 24mm, ISO 1600, f/3.2, 1/60s. White balance adjustment, curves, color balancing.

Comments

Excellent framing. It looks like she is looking to some kind of past wonderland.

Posted by Tero on January 9, 2009 12:06 AM

One more reason to like Michener, he has such a beautiful chunk of wall by Daniel Garber, a painter I greatly admire. He, (Daniel, not James) has done some great atmospheric pieces like "The Quarry" and "The Hawk Nest." .....And which Jenn is that? She does not look like Appalachian Trailer Jenn, or Coffee Shop Jenn, or Hay Jenn, or........cute boots and topknot though.......Hope the Museum did not mind your having brought us all along, and thank you for taking time to nurture our collective cultural sides!

Posted by david tinnon on January 9, 2009 1:49 AM

Love the 'much larger version.' Really pulls you in.

I was surprised to learn the piece was painted so recently (in historical terms...)

Posted by Michael George on January 9, 2009 2:20 AM

Superb!! It looks like she is actually at the picture!
Great shot Kathleen!
Cheers

Posted by titter on January 9, 2009 4:03 AM

lovely. like looking through a portal.

Posted by musanggala on January 9, 2009 5:04 AM

Wonderful the way you included Jen with her sketch pad in hand. I like her thoughtful pose as she contemplates the mural before her.

Posted by Laurie on January 9, 2009 6:24 AM

Don't think that all fine art has been finished just yet,
For Kathleen has caught Jenn in front of a Garber lunette!

(I think that one deer is watching Jenn)

Posted by JPH on January 9, 2009 3:40 PM

Stunning.

We saw the Ansel Adams exhibit there at the Michener Museum a couple of years ago.

I remember this piece too. It's immense, and the room was empty other than my husband and I. It's better to me this way, with appreciative student.

I so enjoy blog. Thank you for sharing your view.

Posted by stefanie on January 9, 2009 4:37 PM

I just love your framing! The way the trees line up with the woman and the details of the hardwood floors. Wonderful symmetry!

Posted by bluechameleon on January 10, 2009 9:45 AM

Just one more step is all it takes. Don't be afraid; come closer and touch the wind and the textures of the forest. Step out into the sunlight and experience the warmth of the earth's embrace. Walk down to the water's edge and let the rejuvenating powers wash over you.

Posted by Willow on January 10, 2009 10:53 AM

la forêt dans le musée, un joli trompe-l'oeil

Posted by lasiate on January 11, 2009 5:51 PM

This "Jenn" business is too funny. I agree, this seems like a totally different person from the one in the several other shots with her. I saw the photo and thought nah, can't be... then I read the caption and laughed.

Posted by Anthony DiSante on January 12, 2009 9:37 AM

Love the warm colours and the crisp details! Nice work.

Posted by Craig Wilson on January 12, 2009 11:54 AM

Congratulations for the award !!!!

Posted by David Monfil on January 12, 2009 5:02 PM

At first glance I thought she was part of the painting. She could be... Now she is in both worlds. A museum, looking at a painting, drawn into it. Literal and figurative.

Posted by nataJane on January 13, 2009 2:48 PM