Break Time

Photograph info: Another photo from last Saturday afternoon during a two-mile hike through heavy snowfall.

We were on the last half mile of our journey to pick up the car from the mechanic. By that point I could see only indistinct blobs of black & white through the fogged viewfinder, so I composed the abstract elements, set the focus in a general area and got really lucky.

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens at 24mm, ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/320s. Slight white balance correction, curves adjustment for contrast and saturation. The red cheeks are the real deal. :)

Comments

Look at those cheeks! Must have been a beautiful winter hike...crunch, crunch, crunch with each step in big warm snow boots. I can feel/hear it now. Great winter photo.

Posted by Gator on January 16, 2009 2:54 AM

Dang, that looks comfortable!

Who needs Jamaica or the Bahamas? Forget Hawaii! You can conserve precious fossil fuels, while radically minimizing your winter holiday carbon footprint as you enjoy the robust, yet simple pleasures of a casual afternoon, laying in a snow lined canal ditch after a blizzard. (And don't let some know-it-all travel agent talk you out of it. Why go where everybody else goes, your not sheep ya know!)

....and thanks for another field trip.

Posted by david tinnon on January 16, 2009 3:05 AM

Beautiful scene here - wonderful colours and scene. Best wishes, LwS

Posted by LwS on January 16, 2009 3:45 AM

As Gator says, it's a great winter photo. You can see the sense of fun and achievement coming through...

Posted by one way photo / Mark on January 16, 2009 4:04 AM

Indeed, read cheek are the real deal:-)
Beautifully composed image! Nice exposure!

Posted by Abhijit Dharmadhikari on January 16, 2009 5:43 AM

excellent shot. looks cold but delicate. :)

Posted by musanggala on January 16, 2009 5:46 AM

Black suit against white, a sight to behold.
Bundled head to toe, to fight off the cold.
With his cheeks all aglow
He's collapsed in the snow.

Posted by JPH on January 16, 2009 7:58 AM

this is beautiful Kathleen.
love the little blurriness in the bottom right corner.

Posted by aminTorres on January 16, 2009 8:27 AM

I miss snow! We dont get enough of it in South Africa - we do get a small flurry every winter, but then you have 20,000 people flock to the area.

How about we trade you 5 35 degree (around 90F) days and then you trade us one week of heavy snow fall? I'll see if the foreign office can organise it from this end :)

Posted by Craig Wilson on January 16, 2009 9:59 AM

You just gotta love those rosy cheeks. This is wonderful. Perfect composition as is your practice...always perfect tone and exposure control as well.

We did not get much snow here...I was out shooting as well last Saturday. It got heavy on an off throughout the day but added up to around maybe an inch.

Posted by Laurie on January 16, 2009 12:36 PM

david tinnon you are a master of all you survey.

Posted by on January 16, 2009 12:36 PM

Winter fun! Good composition. There seems to be a bit more snow than here in Finland.

Posted by Tero on January 16, 2009 2:36 PM

A day in the snow is always fun :-) Great shot!

Posted by Claus Petersen on January 16, 2009 4:43 PM

Impresionante. Me encanta.

Posted by emillamola on January 16, 2009 6:23 PM

nice portrait !

Posted by Xavier Rey on January 16, 2009 6:48 PM

Beautiful shot!! I had a hard time deciding which was my favorite picture of all you took until this one, I vote this one!

-SG

Posted by Seek Geo on January 16, 2009 11:45 PM

I really like this shot - you captured it very nicely - even if you couldn't see it. Must be instinct. Thank you so much for sharing it!

Posted by Kathy on January 17, 2009 12:45 AM

That's a great capture. I love the mood of it, the feeling of it.
Terrific job, can't stop enjoying this photo.

Posted by Ilan on January 17, 2009 10:14 AM

What I really like in this shot is the way it "frames itself". With this I mean, that the accentuation of the main subject representing a starting point for the eye is balanced by the extending depth of the (snowy) field in the background which is bound by the blurry silhouette of naked trees.
Congratulations!

Posted by pSz on January 17, 2009 11:28 AM

Are you cold, boy. You are very brave. But be careful not to get a cold.

Posted by china landscape on January 17, 2009 7:58 PM

Image Interpretation Variant B; "Break Time," as in, "the TIME I lay snow-bound in a ditch because I BROKE my leg."

Posted by david tinnon on January 18, 2009 1:48 PM

Beautiful portrait. Love the composition..and how he sits in the foreground..with all the winter and snow behind him. His rosy cheeks are wonderful!!!

Posted by Marcie on January 18, 2009 2:15 PM

Conform to nature instead of trying to conquer it. Minimize the impact, minimize the disturbance. Become part of the landscape instead of creating the landslide. Make pristine forests, white capped mountains and crystal clear rivers the monuments to your existence. Lie down with the earth, trust her and open your mind and your soul to the knowledge she possesses.

Posted by Willow on January 23, 2009 11:06 PM

Willow, are we writing parallel-o-grams here or what? I periodically check previous images to avoid missing your "takes." (I rewrite them for later plageristical re-purposing--it saves energy.)

Posted by David Tinnon on January 29, 2009 3:42 PM

Fantastic (and very cold) shot !

Posted by desfocado on February 27, 2009 3:53 PM