Ed's Corn, Morning Fog

Photograph info: I took this photo today (Sunday) around 7:30 a.m.

I think the first week in June is my favorite time of year in Durham Township. (But don't hold me to that when the October rolls around, ha.) The warm air, the morning fog rising from the Delaware River, the intoxicating perfume from Japanese honeysuckle & multiflora rose (both invasive species, but it's hard to hate them right now) and the long days add up to heaven in my book.

Take that walk.

Camera settings and post-processing: Shot with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II and the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L lens with circular polarizing filter at 17mm, ISO 200, f/13, 1/125s. Curves adjustments. (The deep blue in the sky is from the circular polarizing filter.)

Comments

Kathleen - this is simply beautiful. I love your work! By the way, thank you for following me on Twitter too!

Posted by Sherri Meyer on June 7, 2009 12:28 PM

That's a really neat photo! You can see the fog beginning to lift, but there's still enough of it to give it a mystical appearance. I, too, love the smell of honeysuckle this time of year. Thanks for the note on the filter, I was wondering how the sky could have been that blue with the fog still present.

Posted by Wayne Woodruff on June 7, 2009 12:42 PM

Holy Smoke, Kathleen! (OK, Holy Fog!) It's not a photo, it's a vision. I feel like Hemingway after he read "West With the Night." I'm ashamed of my camera. Think I'll give it a good whacking. Wherever the "thank you, Kathleen" count is, up it by half! (....still looking for the brush strokes in the sky, in that tree, in Ed's corn.)

Alternative Comment B: Oh Wow!

Posted by david tinnon on June 7, 2009 2:15 PM

Wow, such a beautiful shot. Feels very heavenly in fact - just like the long days :)

Posted by Peter DeWitt on June 7, 2009 2:47 PM

This is the kid of images I would like to make :-) This is beautiful!

Posted by Frida on June 7, 2009 5:30 PM

It's a nice composition ! A like it with a lot of sky. Nice colors :)

Posted by Sophie Asselin on June 7, 2009 5:54 PM

Gorgeous, Kathleen.

Posted by Otto K. on June 7, 2009 7:44 PM

I have not seen a picture like that since I left the farm and boy did it bring back memories to me. Thanks for the trip down memory road.

Posted by Robin on June 7, 2009 8:25 PM

This is what country life is all about! I love this photo. Your work is so inspirational!

Posted by Marcene on June 7, 2009 9:47 PM

Lovely shot...I especially enjoy the fog rolling through the background.

Posted by Rob Weiher on June 7, 2009 10:55 PM

So beautiful and serene landscape!

Posted by Tero on June 8, 2009 4:58 AM

it's like a dream. great landscape and such a beautiful sky ;-)

Posted by Matthias on June 8, 2009 7:07 AM

It's so peaceful. The only sound is of the corn quickly growing
Or maybe the grass in the field that soon will need a mowing.
The coolness and fog of this early spring morning
Helps ready the earth for the long summer and it's warming.

Posted by JPH on June 8, 2009 8:54 AM

Always great photos but your shots recently with vertical composition and lots of sky, clouds and fog are wonderful. They remind me of the English painter William Turner. I saw his paintings in London years ago and your photos strike me the same way.

Posted by Terence Nickolette on June 8, 2009 9:36 AM

Gorgeous shot and I really like the use of the polarizing Filter, very well done.

Posted by Zack on June 8, 2009 2:22 PM

Another beautiful shot, this is lovely and soft, making it feel warm, the clouds look like they have been sponged in by an artist. Really inspiring work.

Posted by Aaron Witherow on June 9, 2009 8:00 AM

Wonderful mood and quality of light in this image. I enjoy much of your work but this one forced me to comment. Great work!

Posted by Aaron on June 9, 2009 11:33 AM

beautiful

Posted by luke on June 9, 2009 6:40 PM

The fog.. the light.. the composition...
.. just wonderful! Such a beautiful capture, this is.

Posted by Soe on June 9, 2009 11:14 PM

You are blessed with early morning mist!!

Posted by sandra soleil on June 10, 2009 9:03 PM

This is magical. The mood is uplifting.

Posted by Laurie on June 11, 2009 7:29 AM

Fantastic colors and framing!

Posted by Ovidiu on June 11, 2009 8:59 AM

Love the mist and clouds blending together.

Posted by Vicki on June 11, 2009 3:20 PM

Your work never fails to inspire and delight. This is magnificent but, then again, which one isn't!?!

Posted by Glen Goffin on June 11, 2009 9:27 PM

Interesting that you split the foreground image down the middle yet assign the role of "compositional binder" to naught but air and mist, which form the upper chunk of a subtle tripticalistic division of elements with Mr. Tree taking the role of "anchor dude"......but are we not in the realm of "interesting stuff?" (Also a pretty mystical image for just corn....anybody actually ever SEEN this "Ed" who manages to shroud his crop in such a magical way? Mmmmm?

Posted by david tinnon on June 12, 2009 12:50 AM

Esa niebla que poco a poco se va apoderando de todo a su paso, me encanta el punto de vista.
Saludos.

Posted by Alex on June 12, 2009 6:13 PM

This is a beautiful image, really lovely colours here.

Posted by LwS on June 13, 2009 5:21 AM

Isn't it interesting how timing is everything? Ten minutes later and you would not have the same mist and light. This was great timing and a good reason for rising early.

Posted by Leon on June 13, 2009 8:56 AM

Nice work, I would like to see some old houses when you get a chance!

Posted by cody on June 14, 2009 5:38 PM

your photo which appeared on the Strike-the-Root blog of June 14 is the best picture I have seen put on that site and I've been reading said for 2 years. Nice to see genuine talent, for a change.

Posted by Kevin on June 14, 2009 7:46 PM

Like most of your shots, Kathleen - awesome! Great stuff, I really like your work

Posted by robert colameco on June 14, 2009 8:44 PM

And a lovely walk at that. Awesome photo site, we thank you.
Lauren

Posted by Lauren Reagan on June 15, 2009 9:12 PM

But where are the grazing deer?

Posted by Alexa on June 16, 2009 8:52 PM

Beautiful landscape capture! The composition with the split foreground, the mystical feeling and the colours. Perfect. This is my first visit and your pictures are absolutely fantastic. Thank you.

Posted by Pernilla on June 17, 2009 2:40 AM

Great composition with that wide, deep, prominent sky.

Posted by Markus Spring on June 17, 2009 7:07 AM

Well Kathleen, at this rate, the mid-ground foliage will be protected old growth forest before we get a knew..... I''m just say'n......

Posted by David Tinnon on June 17, 2009 1:27 PM

A morning walk in the fog can be a mystical and uplifting start to a new day. This shot is so inspiring!

Posted by Cam on June 18, 2009 1:50 AM

Love this image. Love how you captured the gentle roll of the land, the green, the mist, the blue sky, the clouds. I agree with you re. multiflora and japanese honeysuckle.

Posted by Anita Bower on June 24, 2009 11:46 AM

This is really lovely. Almost symetrical and the lines really lead you into the image. Lovely light.

Posted by mooch on July 7, 2009 4:40 AM

I loved the evocative feel of this shot, made me think of civil war battlefields for some reason. Now that is not peaceful but the landscape of itself is not warlike. The corn (Ed's) gives a feeling of hope, expectation of reaping a good harvest.

Posted by Ronnie Bell on July 18, 2009 4:07 PM