Pennsylvania Farmland, Sunset

Happy New Year, everyone!

It's the 9th anniversary of this blog. Wow.

Thank you for your continued patience with my updates. I'm back! Please hit the "Earlier Photos" or the "Before" link to find 21 additional photos I took since the beginning of September - a late holiday gift to everyone.

The last few months have been ... interesting. I haven't been ill (thanks for worrying) and I haven't stopped taking photos (as if). But there's been big life lessons and changes and all for the best, too.

Thank you to everyone around the world who has reached out to see how I'm doing and what's going on via email, Facebook, Twitter and other means. Your kind words and encouragement have meant so much.

Blessings and love to you all in 2012!

Photograph info: This photo was taken on a return flight from Seattle, Washington, where I worked with two fantastic artists & friends, Barbara Fugate and Androu Morgan, shooting a New Year's Eve event at Emerald City Trapeze Arts - a totally amazing experience.

Pennsylvania looks great from above, too!

Camera settings and post-processing: Photographed with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II and the Canon 50mm f/1.2L at 50mm, ISO 400, f/11, 1/25s. Basic S curve.

-- Kathleen

Comments

A return flight in more ways than one. Bravo, Kathleen!

Posted by david tinnon on January 6, 2012 12:26 PM

Ahh your back. I am once again inspired to do better already. Thanks Ed W

Posted by Ed on January 6, 2012 1:38 PM

Good to see you back! Your images are always inspirational and take me back home. I grew up near Durham and miss it.

Best,

Paul

Posted by Paul S. Bartholomew on January 6, 2012 2:26 PM

Ah, the world's a little better now you're back! So pleased.

Posted by Steve West on January 6, 2012 4:44 PM

We've been patiently waiting for you, and now see that your photos are better than ever! Take care.

Posted by Dianne on January 6, 2012 5:05 PM

Thank God your back,I have missed your photographs,greetings and blessed 2012
from The Netherlands.

Posted by Marij Duerinck on January 7, 2012 5:21 AM

Yay! You are back! I saw part of your lovely state in December -- Gettysburg to Lancaster and back. Beautiful -- even through the pouring rain of one of those days!

Posted by Melissa on January 7, 2012 8:29 AM

Soo glad you're OK! It's strange how modern technology reduces the 3500 miles between us and our different worlds to a click, and somehow bridges the gap between two people who have never met. I enjoy your blog and like many others was very worried when you disappeared. Let me know if you ever come to the UK...

You obviously remember Blake and

...see a world in a grain of sand
and a heaven in a wild flower...

Welcome back! HNY!

John B

Posted by John Batten on January 7, 2012 9:21 AM

Kathleen ,
Hope your health continues to improve . So pleased to have you back .You put joy into all our days .
Adolph

Posted by Adolph on January 7, 2012 1:35 PM

Dear Kathleen,

You have been truly missed. Every day, as I browsed through my favorite sites, there was an emptiness every time I visited here. When your Twitter and your Big A 365 Project fell empty as well, I was sad and worried. I think I may have shouted out loud when I saw your first Tweet a few weeks ago. I know I am being a little selfish in being happy you are back, and am not forgetting that it probably took a lot on your part. Best wishes and positive thoughts from California.

-Rob in Vacaville

Posted by Rob Baker on January 7, 2012 2:01 PM

Welcome Back Kathleen!!! Glad to hear all is well, and will look forward to the book. - Love all the photos since 9/5 but really appreciate Traugers Crossing photo. One of my favorite drives thru every season. Noreen

Posted by Noreen on January 7, 2012 11:15 PM

Rob Baker - Are you the Bob Baker who once lived in Philly, worked in the 1st PA Bank then moved to Bakersfield, Calif.?

Posted by Miss Molly on January 7, 2012 11:27 PM

She made many of us shout with a joyous cry,
"She's back!" with a shot of PA from the sky.
Once again our lives will be filled with rapture
As we view the latest Kathleen capture.

Posted by JPH on January 8, 2012 9:21 AM

Yeah you are back! What a fantastic surprise to check today and see that your lovely, unique and inspiring images of our area are back again. I've truly missed your work.

Posted by Kierie C on January 8, 2012 2:29 PM

Kathleen is back! That is what I call a Happy New Year.Now, to go see those 21 presents you placed under the tree.

Posted by Tim on January 8, 2012 4:34 PM

I clicked, once more, expecting the September 5 post to appear, and what joy! What ecstatic joy! You have been in my heart and prayers, and I am so happy you are back. Love and hugs from Lancaster, PA.

Posted by Jewel Atkins on January 8, 2012 5:40 PM

As everyone here, I am delighted to see your latest photos again!
Meilleurs voeux pour 2012 !... :o)

Posted by Fred (from Paris, France) on January 9, 2012 10:03 AM

Miss Molly,

Sorry. Lived in California since 1969.

-Rob

Posted by Rob Baker on January 9, 2012 11:29 AM

As Gene Autry was the Singing Cowboy,.. Annie Oakley of Durham is to Photography ! So Glad you have returned to grace us with your passion , Theres know place like Home !! Much thanks from Seaside

Posted by AJG on January 9, 2012 7:50 PM

How Appropriate : That you were brought back To us from
"EMERALD CITY " Via ( A modren day Balloon ) Back to what a lot of us have to thank you for : Showing us the Land of the Real "OZ"

'A Heart is Not Judged By How Much You Love,
But How Much You Are Loved By Others'

Welcome Back & Much Thanks for sharing your work

Posted by The Real Jersey Shore on January 9, 2012 8:27 PM

So glad to see you back Kathleen, and with such an inspirational photo to boot!!

Also looking forward to reading up on your recent trial/adventure? Whatever it was, it can either make you bitter or better. Somehow I think you'll be all the better for it!!

Posted by Blayne on January 10, 2012 3:38 AM

I'm so glad you're back!!

Posted by Laurie on January 10, 2012 7:00 AM

Welcome back! You were missed! Looking forward to seeing lots of pix of Stouts Valley from Ballek/Steely Hill points (if you are so inclined). Your latest are stunning! I'm so glad you're back again! Happy 2012!

Posted by Josie on January 10, 2012 10:05 AM

Thank you, everyone! It's a joy to be back to work here. I appreciate your kind comments very much!

Posted by Kathleen on January 10, 2012 10:00 PM

Just wanted to chime in with everyone else that I'm so very happy to see new photography from you. Hope the new year treats you well and much luck on the book writing.

Posted by Steve on January 11, 2012 3:06 AM

I wasn’t expecting a new post when I checked back…. but 21?! What a nice surprise to see your blog up and running again. You have one of the best photoblogs out there. Glad you are back, and I hope all is well. I am not sure what happened, but I hope 2012 is better for you than 2011.

Posted by Nathaniel Speece-Moyer on January 12, 2012 9:00 PM

Ohh congratulations with the 9th anniversary of your blog. Good luck in the futures.

Posted by hosting geek on January 13, 2012 9:15 AM

Add my voice to the others. Welcome back. Missed you and worried.
Nice shot - I've never been able to take a photo from inside a plane without reflection problems, but I always sit next to the window and look out as much as possible.

Posted by Ed on January 15, 2012 12:31 AM

Glad your back! Thanks for the Gene Autry.

Posted by Sharon on January 18, 2012 8:20 AM

I love this photo also

Posted by Barbara Thorbjornsson on February 4, 2012 7:54 PM

Nice to see you back in action (took me a while to find this pivotal post!). I hit this blog more than any other and I've missed it. Hope all is well.

-Steve