On the Farm Again with Jakey

Photograph info: I made a long overdue visit to Stoneybrook Farm on Saturday afternoon. Jakey was his usual non-stop self -- it's a miracle he's ever in focus.

During the 90 minutes I was there, Jakey tended to his steer by moving both hay and straw bales around in the barn (for feed and bedding) and by grinding ear corn into feed. The barn dates back to the early 1800s.

Camera settings and post-processing: Photographed with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II and the Canon 50mm f/1.2L at 50mm, various ISOs, f/stops and shutter speeds. (Feel free to ask if you want specifics.) No post-processing on any of these photos.

-- Kathleen

Comments

Hay Kathleen, that's a lot of great shots for 90 minutes in a barn. (Even an antique barn.) The opening "Bale" and the Steer portraits are my faves, and the formal balance of elements in "Steer II" is a hoot! "Corn Falling Out of the Wagon" is exceptional too. --both for the title and the image:)

Posted by david tinnon on January 16, 2012 3:57 AM

Your photos of Jamie and his farm are some of my favorites, and this series is no exception. Great job of documenting the non-stop work of a small farmer.

Posted by Anita Bower on January 17, 2012 8:28 AM

Kathleen...I enjoy following your blog. A few weeks Ellie Seif sent you an email and asked if you would consider speaking at the Cheltenham Camera Club on April 17,2012. It may have ended up in your spam. We have about 50 people at our meetings and would be very interested in hearing about your philosophy and seeing your images.

Please contact me via email or call at 215-248-4894. Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you. Carolyn Johnson

Posted by Carolyn Johnson on January 18, 2012 11:15 PM

C'est magnifique Kathleen, comme toujours... ; )

Posted by Fred (from Paris, France) on January 19, 2012 3:57 AM

I am one of your ardent followers. I particularly love in this series how you have taken a mundane scene and really 'worked' it; worked the angles; worked the light; worked the selective focus. The leg in amongst the corn and the falling corn kernels are prime examples. Just primo!

Posted by Ginger (Delaware) on January 21, 2012 12:57 PM

Kathleen,
I always love the photos you do at the farm, but these are absolutely stunning! You evoke a whole sense of history in just a few photographs.

Posted by Mary on January 21, 2012 7:59 PM

Another wonderful series of the farm and all its wonder.

Posted by Noreen on January 22, 2012 9:26 AM

What rich colors to fest my eyes on. Absolutely wonderful series....
Lauren Reagan

Posted by Lauren Reagan on January 22, 2012 5:56 PM

What a delicious find this afternoon. This really hit home to see how totally different some peoples lives are when compared to mine and what I do every day in suburbia. I truly admire men who care for animals and tend to the land, and it is wonderful to see you record so much of what he did there.

Posted by Lindsay on January 24, 2012 12:11 PM

I love living in rural Pennsylvania. Your photos are like a beautiful, handmade quilt. They are lovely and comforting - right down to the bones.

Posted by Jewel Atkins on January 24, 2012 8:30 PM

I was wondering what the settings were for the second picture down-quite a beautiful shot, and (for me) technically difficult.

Thanks!