Another Hour at the Farm

Photograph info: I made another hour-long visit to Stoneybrook Farm this past Wednesday.

I started out documenting the process of selling dry corn: getting the corn out of the grain bins, into the trucks and then to an auction. About five minutes into shooting, the red truck wouldn't start, so I began documenting the process of getting the truck started, haha. I walked around and took some other shots while Jakey and Keith worked on the engine.

One thing I've always hoped to convey with these farm shots is how capable farmers are: equal parts agriculturalist, veterinarian, mechanic - and babysitter! Amazing how it all gets done.

As a photographer I enjoy working fast like this - to see what kind of story I can tell in a very limited time span. Good mental exercise. One thing I've learned is that slowing down is sometimes the better option. I blow too many shots, but it's all part of learning.

Camera settings and post-processing: Photographed with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II and the Canon 50mm f/1.2L at 50mm, various ISOs, f/stops and shutter speeds. (Feel free to ask if you want specifics.) Very little post-processing w/curves.

-- Kathleen

Comments

I love farm photos, the corn is really cool. The last shot, however, is awesome, my 14 YO son loves the hat!

Posted by Wayne on February 4, 2012 10:31 AM

Beautiful, as always. And "Little Farmer"--could that photo be any cuter or sweeter?

Posted by GrossePointeMichigan on February 4, 2012 2:45 PM

load that gold
til the truck is draggin'
big yellow screw-driver
and a shed that's saggin'
that's no 9-volt,
so please don't lick it
if she don't start soon
get out and kick it
now I know a swingin' spot
just don't mind the bull
the corner's a bit messy
but the soup is good
it's got a missing combination
and tractor seats for contemplation
a can of washers, every man needs that
hey bro, you got a problem with my hat?

(Though each is worth a thousand words, I'm short again Kathleen:)

Posted by david tinnon on February 4, 2012 6:31 PM

You have been capturing great photos of farm life.
The little farmer is adorable !

Posted by Netty on February 5, 2012 7:12 PM

This was a great series of "feel good" shots. It is comforting to know that there are still many people who work hard and have many skills to keep farming alive. I know that I couldn't do it but I do appreciate what they can do and like it that you captured such a variety of shots in the short time you were there.

Posted by Ed on February 5, 2012 9:46 PM

Your images are outstanding. Sharpness and color are always spot-on, literally jumping off the screen when viewed on my Apple LED Cinema display. If you don't m,ind me asking, what color profile and WB setting do you shoot with on your 5D Mark II?

Posted by Jim Crotty on February 6, 2012 11:19 AM

Beautiful images, and my favorite is the shot of the workbench with the tools hanging.

Posted by Darren C. on February 6, 2012 10:26 PM

"Little Farmer." I have a new favorite. Just perfect.

Posted by Steve B. on February 7, 2012 9:44 AM

Good job

Posted by Raul Saez on February 8, 2012 4:03 AM

I really love the first photo, where you can see the corn bouncing off the pile as it is poured into the truck. Also - I wonder if they make the Little Farmer's hat in adult sizes? I could totally rock that look.

Posted by Bridget on February 12, 2012 10:58 PM

Your photos are nicely taken. Can you tell me what camera settings you used for each photo.

Posted by Savannah on February 15, 2012 4:46 AM

wonderful series, great job

Posted by Krunal on February 19, 2012 2:33 AM

Great shots Kathleen as always! You truely know how to capture life with your camera - but... It's really not Durham Township! These shots are Williams Township.

Posted by Mary Crouse on February 19, 2012 3:32 PM

Nice images... I miss America already.

Posted by Bogdan on February 20, 2012 4:26 PM

Lovely photos! Also the earlier photos are nice! You live in a beautiful place! I love the photo with the tools.

Posted by Liesbeth on February 23, 2012 2:28 PM

I absolutely love the picture of the child with the hat! Just wonderful!

Posted by Jeremy on March 1, 2012 12:27 PM

Very nice. I've been following your blog and it's nice to see another person who likes to document their home area. For me it's been Wilmington Delaware where I work. Keep up the good work - it's inspiring!

Posted by Jason on April 5, 2012 2:22 PM